Poka Dot Cake

Decorating By welder Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 4:28pm by eochenski

welder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
welder Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:57am
post #1 of 11

I have been asked to do 2 tier cakes - Birthday and Wedding using pok a dots. Neither wants fondant. Can fondant dots be placed on BC without any problems? Maybe there is a better solution? I thought the fondant dots would look better. Also, is there way to smooth BC so you would not have to have a border on the top of each layer and still look neat. I always like a border just to "cover" the rough edge. Thanks is advance for any help.

10 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #2 of 11

You can put fondant polka dots on buttercream. If they sit a day or two they will get sticky, but they will stay put. You could also pipe dots on with buttercream as an alternative.
I've found by using the Viva method, you can smooth the top so you don't need a top border. I used both of these techniques on the mario cake in my gallery.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 11

I did polka dots using chocolate. Just drop or pipe rounds of chocolate on waxed paper. When they're hard, put them on the cake with the flat side out - just push 'em into the buttercream until they're level. Makes great polka dots. I saw someone else do the same thing with various colored chocolate melts. Looked really great.

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:44am
post #4 of 11

Here's a BC cake I did with a polka dot ribbon. I made fondant balls and attached then to the cake with a toothpick.
LL

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 11

Love the cake sugarfancy!

TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 11

that's a pretty cake...i hope the polka dot cake comes out well...

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 11

You could also do color flow dots and they are so easy. They attach with royal icing and can be colored and sized however you want. Just drip it out of a piping bag onto wax paper.

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 11

You can also use Candy Clay, dyed to whatever color you want. It sticks to the BC and tastes good. GL

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 11

In my pics, there are two or three cakes done in BC w/ fondant dots. As far as the edges go, I would recommend getting them as smooth as you can, then covering your least favorite parts w/ the fondant dots! That's what I did and no would ever know!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by milal

You can also use Candy Clay, dyed to whatever color you want. It sticks to the BC and tastes good. GL

OR you can be LAZY like ME and buy the color you need! LOL That's the BIGGEST plus with candy clay!

Beth in KY

eochenski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eochenski Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 11

I've got a cake in my photos that I did with just BC, polka dots included (they're just not flat)...HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%