Baby Shower Luau Cake?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 12:02am by tincanbaby

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #1 of 11

I'm throwing a shower for a good friend and it's going to be a baby luau. I was thinking of doing a babies surfing, but I'm a little afraid of how to do the waves. I think I would be okay doing the babies and surfboards.

Any ideas on this or others that would fit the theme??

Thanks.

10 replies
daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:37am
post #2 of 11

Bright colors! Maybe a multicolored border to give the look of a lei. A baby in grass skirt doing the hula might be something cute. You could use those gummies that are in the shape of a circle (I think the ones I've seen are peach flavored) & put babies in the center of them like they are floating in inner tubes. Depending on the size of the babies you are using, fruit stripe gum might make cool beach towels. Big gum balls for beach balls. Palm trees from pretzel rods & fondant. Just a few ideas. Have fun making this one!!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

There was a woman asking for Hawaiian bridal shower cakes ideas just a day or two ago....it's not exactly the same, but many of those ideas could be easily altered to become baby-shower worthy. icon_smile.gif Check out this thread:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-161221.html

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 11

If you still want the wave.... use the border for the large wave in the background then work a ripple wave effect for beachfront up to the beach. Have the surfboad babies on the rippled waves with the large border wave behind them and the beach in front of them all decorated with huts, baby hula dancer, etc.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 11

A lei on the baby would be adorable. Maybe with a Hawaiian shirt print on the diaper?

KarenOR Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanbaby

If you still want the wave.... use the border for the large wave in the background then work a ripple wave effect for beachfront up to the beach. Have the surfboad babies on the rippled waves with the large border wave behind them and the beach in front of them all decorated with huts, baby hula dancer, etc.

I think I'm a little slow, or else I had something totally different in my mind and I cannot follow. LOL!

I was thinking of doing two tiers. So, can you explain the wave thing again? Sorry.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

KarenOR Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbur10

A lei on the baby would be adorable. Maybe with a Hawaiian shirt print on the diaper?

Funny you should mention that, these were the invitations:
LL

SweetieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 11

If you are going to use bc, you could just pile on the frosting and use your spatula to make it wavy. I used blue bc on the dolphin cake in my photos. I just added a little white to some places and spread it in the make a bit of contrast for the waves. Mine was just a sheet cake but I think you could get the same effect on tiers. HTH

milklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milklady Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 11

I did a similar cake a few months ago. The invitation had a little outfit on it, so I included it. I struggled a lot trying to figure out sand, surf boards, etc. without making it tacky, so I went for the outfit and the lei.

I can't seem to upload a photo right now. The cake was a white rectangle, and had a large gumpaste outfit that matched the invitation on the left. There were a few Hawaiian looking flowers above and below the outfit. On the right, I wrote "aloha baby" and circled the text with flowers, to look like a lei.

It was a hit! Good luck

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 11

on half of the cake put brown sugar for sand, the other half cut a small hole down the cake and fill with blue jelly, make the baby in a raft, and make the sides as if you were lookind in the ocean, spread with blue icing, make seaweed, fish, ect.

hope you like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:02am
post #11 of 11

KarenOR, I did not realize you were doing a twotier.
But could use the large shell tip for the wave effect, in front of it blue/green piping gel for the water with ground graham crackers/cake crumb mixture for the sand or lite brown sugar if one prefers. Then decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%