Cookie Icing Question

Baking By mohara Updated 13 Feb 2006 , 1:52pm by mohara

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hi.
I normally use a powdered sugar, milk and vanilla type glaze for my cookies, which I love. I decided this last time though to use Toba Garrett's recipe - which is basically the same, but she adds corn syrup.

Does anyone know what exactly does the corn syrup add to the recipe? I thought I read corn syrup makes it shinier, however, I think even without it, the finish is just as shiny.

I also thought the icing was just slightly runny. Does anyone know if I should cut back on the milk or the corn syrup to make it a little thicker? I really don't want to add more sugar, because the icing is sweet enough.
Any ideas would be great!!!

2 replies
rlctic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlctic Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 3

Are you using the correct measurements? If so and it's still runny, you should try to cut back on the milk and corn syrup. I don't have a problem with mine being runny though.

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 3

I added a little more vanilla, but not too much...and the other measurements were exact. I read on another thread that someone used heavy cream instead of milk and maybe I'll try that. The icing was quite thick, however maybe I just went too close to the edge because at times it would drip down the side. I bet if I stayed in a little bit it might not happen. I just like the whole cookie to be covered, but I really don't have time to outline first and then fill.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%