Help..jungle Theme. Animals???

Decorating By nicoles-a-tryin Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 3:09pm by NewbeeBaker

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hello...I have to do a jungle baby shower cake for this friday. I looked up in the galleries...So many gorgeous cakes..
But....I don't know how to do those animal figures. Are they horrible to do? Can I do them before friday? For a Newbie?

I would appreciate any help you guys can give..thank you So much!!! Nicole

9 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 10

I think you could get them done if you start on them pretty quick. Otherwise you could cut them out of rolled out fondant and put them on the cake like a accent (if that makes since). I made some but got the idea from someone else here on cc. What I did was print their picture and made the animals the best I could. Then I added a couple to it. Good Luck
Melissa

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 10

Here is a link to Wilton that has some jungle animals in it that might help you get an idea on how to do it=)

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/yearbook/amazingamazon.cfm?section=yearbook&subsection=yearbook2007&tertiary=dazzlingdisplays

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 10

Run out to Michaels if you can and buy a polymer clay or sculpy book, they are the greatest, I am just starting to do figure molding and these have been a life saver. "The Sculpy Way" Has some jungle animals in it.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 10

The ones I made are pretty simple. Just think of the fondant like play-doh...if you mess up just smoosh and start over. I use broken pieces of flat spaghetti (forgot name duh brain freeze!) to attach pieces and dots of icing. Here are some close-ups...hth and good luck.
p.s. I forgot to add the buttercream tusks to my elephant!! icon_cry.gif And the lion and monkey are bc too.
LL
LL
LL
LL

have2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have2kids Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:11am
post #6 of 10

Awe, they are so cute. I've often wondered how to do them also.. Thanks for the great tips!!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #7 of 10

You can do it!! My advice would be to get the clay modeling book for kids. They are simple designs but very effective. They will also be easy and fast for a newbie icon_wink.gif My jungle animals were made from a child's clay book.

Good Luck!
bj

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 10

HI Guys....Thank you ALL for your help...I must admit...I really got ALL my inspiration from HolyPJ 's cake...
I diffently want to do more characters..Love the ideas you gave..
Thank you so much..
Oh and I learned something too..."Don't mistake the Rolled Buttercream for fondant"!!! That is was I did with the Tigers...They wouldn't harden..
DUH?

Thanks again...Nicole. Not sure If I can post it here...Will try..thanks,
LL

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 10

HOW CUTE!!! Excellent job on the animals!!! They are a lot of work but so fun to make!!! I bet it was the hit of the party. icon_smile.gif

I love the hippo in the water. icon_wink.gif

bj

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 10

Woot! It turned out great!! I have to agree that the hippo is definately my fav=) But really great job on that waterfall, that is something I have wanted to try=) Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%