Opinions Please

Decorating By TERRYHORTON Updated 14 Feb 2006 , 3:33am by dky

TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:12am
post #1 of 19

I saw something I have been wanting to try...

Royal Icing piped in cornelli style onto a balloon that had been blown up to the size of about a baseball. Hang it to dry.
After it dried hard she popped the balloon and withdrew it. CAREFULLY...LOL
This left a beautiful egg shaped faberge` type royal icing decoration.

SO.....what do you think?

Should an amateur attempt it?
Think I saw it in the FOOD network.....

18 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:15am
post #2 of 19

If you don't try to do it you will never know if you can. A little practice goes a long way. I have done the same thing with chocolate for ice cream cups. They were very easy and beautiful.

TERRYHORTON Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:17am
post #3 of 19

what type of chocolate?

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:22am
post #4 of 19

I say TRY it never know yours might just turn out PERFECTO... Never find out by saying SHOULD I? It will turn out GREAT I'M SURE!!! If not well you got a great snack...lol j/k

AlamoSweets Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:25am
post #5 of 19

Use the candy wafers. They set very fast.

TERRYHORTON Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:29am
post #6 of 19

Are those the same as candy melts?

Cool....I could color those then pipe....even different colors on one....cool...

Thanks!!

AlamoSweets Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 19

Yes, the same. Don't forget you can flavor them also.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 19

I say GO FOR IT! Sounds like it would work beautifully! Heck, I may even try it myself!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 19

that's a great idea!!
Just do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

AlamoSweets Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 19

I have also used the almond bark. If you dip and shake off most of it then sit them on wax paper you have a great stand instantly made and they sit beautifully on a desert plate, ready to be filled with mousse, ice cream or sherbert. By moving it up more on one side and then on the opposite you have almost a heart shape!

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 19

That sounded like a very good idea.
Just try it out.
I would love to try it my self thumbs_up.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:08am
post #12 of 19

I did it with royal icing and you need to ever-so-lightly grease the balloon. The first time, I didn't and pieces went flying when the balloon deflated. I lightly greased with shortening then wiped excess off with papertowel.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:42am
post #13 of 19

I was thinking it might need to be greased slightly to prevent it from sticking. All these cool ideas. I love this place.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:50am
post #14 of 19

If you try it, make sure you don't use your decorations on a cake for people allergic to laytex. Some people are really allergic.

Can't your slowly deflate the balloon instead of popping it. All I can see is pieces of royal going flying!

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:51am
post #15 of 19

It is great to have so many on CC who help us newbies to learn new things. Thank You to all that have helped me learn so much.Poppie

AlamoSweets Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 2:32am
post #16 of 19

I have never had to grease my balloon. I would be afraid the almond bark or candy melts wouldn't stick to it. Just let the air out very slowly and never pop it.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 2:37am
post #17 of 19

It shouldn't be a problem with chocolate, especially if it's tempered correctly.

You saw the same thing I did, on the X-mas cake competition I think it was. You must have some patience to attempt that. Although I admit I thought about it, and am heading out the door now to get some balloons to try it myself. If nothing else, My daughter will love playing with the balloons.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:07am
post #18 of 19

Don't blow the balloon up too big. Loosely tie the balloon so you can untie it and deflate or try twisting it and clipping with a paper clip. As long as the air goes out slowly, you will not have a problem. If you deflate it with a pin, choose an area close to the tie, prick it and then slowly pull on the tail to let the air out slowly. Hope that makes sense.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:33am
post #19 of 19

I have seen various versions of this done including over a lovely vase.... half at a time and later joined.... can look very beautiful... Good luck and let us know how you go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%