Using Premade Cookie Dough?

Baking By lnvarma Updated 13 Feb 2006 , 7:44pm by parismom

lnvarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnvarma Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there,

I was going to try to decorate cookies (my first try). Can I just use premade dough, or does it not work well?

Just wondering......

thanks!
lisa

9 replies
Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 10

If for some reason you can't make cookie dough from scratch, (time... etc.). Premade dough will work if you just want to practice. No problems there. But eventually you'll have to try many recipes out to see which is your favorite scratch cookie.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:41am
post #3 of 10

Just a thought...if by premade you mean teh ones in the rolls int he refrigerated section....I actually think not. I tried it (I hid the rool in the bottom of my cart so no one would see it, but it was Christmas eve and we needed cookies for Santa and after 900 cookies in Dec I was OVER IT! LOL). Anyway. We rolled it out and cut away. The kids sprinkled and we baked. But YIKES they spread and got really thin. The kids said "What's wrong with the cookies mommie?" Not a successful trial I guess.

If you see an Ann Clark recipe card on a cookie cutter those are really good and easy to start out too.

Good Luck.

Julia

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:46am
post #4 of 10

Unfortunately, what's not clear is if it's just to get the practice, (which is what I think it's for). If it's for sale then buy sheets of dough already made and rooled out to a certain thickness usually 1/4", if you can find it.

I agree that roll cookies aren't much good for anything like that, if you are selling them, but practice only, I'd say go for it.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:54am
post #5 of 10

I have found that the cookie mix in a bag works well, just follow the recipe for the cookie cutouts. You could also mix in a couple more tablespoons of flour into the premade cookie dough to get it to the right consistency for cut outs. I like the way they turn out just fine.

lnvarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnvarma Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for all the replies, and yes, it would just be for practice. I have a 2 yr old and a 10 month old, so I was looking for a time saver! I am just a beginner, so I think I will first try out the premade dough. I will add more flour to it, as suggested!

thanks a lot!

lisa

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 10

i just bought the premade cookie sheet already rolled out . that is already for you to cut and that was fast and easy for me as being my first at cookie cutting and decorating on the cookie i found it at walmart together with all the valentines cut out cookies in the freezer dept.. they came out really nice

shaddi

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 2:25am
post #8 of 10

I just had to chime in on this one. I bought a couple of DH sugar cookie mixes, brought them home, followed the instructions for the cut out cookies. They spread so badly that and would not hold on the sticks for anything. I ended up thowing the whole thing away. Which included 2 sticks of butter icon_cry.gif

Never again thumbsdown.gif I made the no-fail but I will say that I have a receipe for a cut out cookie using sweetned condensed milk that I swear by. It is awesome and such a breeze to work with. And I think the tasted is great. Whatever works best for you. I have never tried the sheet pre-made dough. After my disaster this weekend I'm stickin to no-fail or my cut outs

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 8:41am
post #9 of 10

I don't think I have used DH sugar cookie mix, I think I have only used the BC kind. I liked it just fine as long as I made sure and added those extra spoons of flour. Another trick I use to sweeten up the cookies is to roll them out on powdered sugar as opposed to flour. Otherwise they can get a too floury taste to them.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah I have noticed that too. Premade sugar cookies from the store always seem to bake thin and greasy. I found some good, thick ones for decorating on marthastewart.com. I'd say from scratch are best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%