Decorating By Sugarbunz Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 12:44pm by boring

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #31 of 42

ruffled also , I think it looks more natural

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:01am
post #32 of 42

Sorry for the confusion, they are gumpaste roses. I only WISH I could do buttercream roses.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbunz

Sorry for the confusion, they are gumpaste roses. I only WISH I could do buttercream roses.

Ya, i know what you mean icon_wink.gif I like the smooth one, would go well with a very smooth clean cake. But htey both look really good!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #34 of 42

ruffle

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #35 of 42

I like the ruffled one..

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #36 of 42

They are both beautiful, but I think I like the ruffled one a bit more. The color is fantastic!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:42am
post #37 of 42

They both look good but I like the more natural looking ruffled rose. Good job though!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:49am
post #38 of 42

The first one. If you look at a real rose the petals are not perfectly straight or smooth, there is always a little movement to them. So the slight ruffling makes them look more natural.

Something I learned along the way it making gumpaste roses that might help. You have seen gumpaste roses where the center is recessed, or you have seen them where the centers poke above the outer petals. On a real rose, even as it opens, all the petals are the same height. If you took a real rose that was opened and folded the petals back to the center they would be the same height. What makes the center appear taller is an optical illusion as the flower opens and the side petals curl down or under.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:06pm
post #39 of 42

Thanks for the tips ShirleyW icon_smile.gif

I was getting annoyed because every time I would make a rose (except for the first few times, in which I free-handed it with circle cutters and guess-work), the center was much much taller than the bottom. I think it was the Wilton gumpaste kit, because it creates much smaller roses than I want and I was trying to make them larger. With these I took the two larger petal cutters (and used them sparingly in the center), and an even larger circle cutter and was able to get pretty much the effect I wanted.

Tamanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamanna Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:12pm
post #40 of 42

i'd go for the smooth one.....

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:18pm
post #41 of 42

Leaning slightly to the Ruffled one. I like the smooth one a lot too though!
They are both beautiful and maybe the cake they are going on would determine your choice?

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:44pm
post #42 of 42

smooth for me, I would just put a bit of movement in the petals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%