How To Make A Sheet Cake To Feed 300 With 12X18 2" Sing

Decorating By lightnin27 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 2:53am by indydebi

lightnin27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lightnin27 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

I would like some suggestions on how to lay out a single layer sheet cake
for 300+ people without it being gigantic. I only have 12x18 2" size cake pans. I have to do this april 15 for relay for life. I thought about laying two to three of the single 12x18 cakes together but I think it would not look right , but it will be giagantic. Any sugesstions would be appreciated.

Thanks alot,
lightnin27 icon_smile.gif

7 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 8

Three 12x18 cakes isn't nearly enough to feed 300 people. Even very small slices of each cake would serve only around 200 (3 cakes x 1.5x2"=216 slices); slices closer to the expected size would serve around 160 (3 cakes x 2x2"=162 slices).

Any sheet cake to serve 300 will be huge. Figure that usually a "full sheet" is around 18x24 and serves 100.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 8

I would decorate 3 sheet cakes seperately. This would be a lot easier to transport also. Two of the cakes I would score so your pieces are marked where to cut. Then in each square do a purple ribbon.

On the third sheet cake you can either do this so they are all the same or Decorate this one with the Relay for life logo. This one would be the last one to get cut then.

HTH

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 8

You are going to need about 6 12x18's to feed that many people. I have done 2 together with a 10X15 on top decorated (fed about 120 or so).

I agree with leily on this one. I might put 2 of the sheets together and decorate with the Relay for Life Logo and then do the others separately.

GOOD LUCK!!

Beth in KY

ChefStef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefStef Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 8

I have made and decorated many huge cakes and I have found that the easiest way is to assemble them on site if possible. For 300 I think you would need at least 10 12x18 sheets (double layer if possible) Cover a large piece of sturdy plywood with foil and bring your frosting pre-made to use at the location. Unless you're very confidant with decorating in front of people, I suggest that you enlarge your logos and laminate them in order to "lay-over" your finished cake.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

annond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annond Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:08am
post #6 of 8

I recently did a cake for our Chamber. I got a plywood board 36 x 36 and did 6 sheet cakes. I torted them, then froze them. Took them to a friends house to decorate because I couldn't get the plyboard out any of our doors and they had french doors. It almost go ugly when I was icing the cake in front of their wood stove. I finally had to open the french doors and freeze so the icing wouldn't completely melt. It turned out really good. We put a logo of our city in the middle of the cake. Had Albertson make 4 tiles of the logo so it was 11"X18". Then I added some balloons and borders. It really did look good. Wish I could include a picture with this. Good luck.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:37am
post #7 of 8

I would do at least 6 - 12x18 - they feed about 48 small pieces per cake. I think I would put 2 cakes together and do the logo in the middle and then score the other 2 cakes and put the ribbon on each piece.

Good Luck! And please post pictures

edited to correct 6 cakes not 4

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:53am
post #8 of 8

I've done sheets for 100 and it was 2 12x18's and the pieces were 2x2. So I'd recommend at LEAST 6 of the 12x18's.

A cake decorator friend of mine had a similar order once. Do you have a large van for transporting? If so, this might work for you.

She set up an 8' banquet table. SHe took a second 8'table and folded up the legs and laid it on top of the first table. She assembled and decorated the cakes on top of the table. When it was ready to go, they just picked up the table (with the folded up legs) and carried it out to the van. When it arrived at the destination, just unfold the legs and set up the table OR set it on top of another 8' banquet table.

Her order was for a local radio station, who was serving cake at the 4th of July Fireworks Display.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%