Godiva Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:34am
post #1 of

A client/friend called earlier today to ask if I could make a Saxophone Cake...I say "Well, never done it, but can try" The he says "Ok, but it's got to be sugar-free...You need to use Equal or Spelnda" I say "Never done it before...have no idea how it'll taste" He says "You like a challenge don't you?"... icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anybody tried a "sugar-free" , sugar substitute cake that is GOOD? Can someone share a recipe that they've tried and liked? Can I substitute the sugar interchangeably, or is there a ratio? What about filling and frosting? icon_cry.gif
I should just say no...too busy and too tired... icon_confused.gif

Like I said, I've never made one before, and that sugar substitute is not cheap. It's due this Sunday, and I have no clue. Don't have time to try different recipes...I won't be able to start till Saturday.

HELP!!!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
momsandraven Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:54am
post #2 of

Godiva,
There are some sugar free recipes listed in the recipe section of this site, including a basic yellow cake using Splenda. The sugar-free frosting recipe has been rated by members with 4-stars, so my guess is that it should be pretty good. Good luck!

Godiva Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:59am
post #3 of

Thanks! I had actually checked there already, but was wondering if anyone else may have a favorite recipe...That way I'll just go head on...

I'm also wondering If I can just substitue my 2 cups of sugar for Splenda lets say...

I can't think...I'm exhausted... THanks icon_wink.gif

elin Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 7:00am
post #4 of

What a difficult order. I have no idea how to do this. But wish you the best.

m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 1:10pm
post #5 of

Did you check out Splenda's website? If so, great; if not here you go:
http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=0JWMQVK5TMZ5ACQPCB3SUYYKB2IIWNSC?id=splenda/recipes/library.inc
And here's the area for Cooking and Baking Tips: http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=splenda/tips/main.inc

Godiva Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:00pm
post #6 of

Thanks...I'll check it out again...I was soo tired last night, felt like if I was drunk. Nothing was processing icon_sad.gif

galaglow Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 11:01pm
post #7 of

I've never used Splenda to bake with - if I'm going to eat cake it's going to be sugar...same as soft drinks, no diet stuff LOL! I have tasted Splenda and I thought it was ok, but had a bit of aftertaste. From what I understand it's measured in equal amounts as sugar. Just make sure your cake price reflects those extra $$.

MrsMissey Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 12:49am
post #8 of

The Spring Fling cake recipe under splenda.com is pretty good....I've made it a few times! There is a sugar free icing recipe listed on this website...I made it last week and it was very good!

According to Splenda, you can substitute splenda for sugar in any recipe but I have not been happy with the results. I tried replacing the sugar with splenda in some of my other recipes but they were kinda dry and didn't rise!

JessicaM Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:32am
post #9 of

As long as you use the regular splenda you use the same amt as you would sugar, but if you get the splenda blend for baking I know it's a different amt than your sugar. I have heard the blend is better in some baked goods, but I use the regular and when I've made cakes with it I just add a little extra baking powder. If you need a chocolate cake I use the one from the back of the Hershey cocoa can and sub splenda for sugar and double the baking powder and it is excellent!

Godiva Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:49am

Thanks all for the tips...MrsMissey...I will try that recipe, hopefully today...
JessicaM, I'm assuming the x-tra baking powder is to help is rise a bit better? Thanks for the tip...I may try the chocolate one as well....
Woohoo!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%