Cupcake Wedding Cake

Decorating By candyladyhelen Updated 4 Feb 2006 , 4:22am by candyladyhelen

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 17

I have 2 requests for cupcake wedding cakes. I have the stand, have searched the net for pictures but what I need to know, is there a certain kind of cupcake liner you use? I was thinking the foil ones are heavier. Also, how do you go about filling them? Do you use an ice cream scoop? After they are baked, should they come just to the paper liner, or above the liner? Sorry for all these questions, but I want to do this right!!! Thanks, Helen

16 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 17

About 60% of my orders this year are for Cupcake Towers. you can check my website and my Photos here for some ideas if you'd like?

What I do is I make my buttercream icing the day before the wedding and re-whip it when I'm about to ice the cupcakes.

I use the jumbo cupcake papers for the best amount of cake. Large ones are okay too though. The foil ones are great, but slightly smaller than I prefer.

I don't bake them until the morning of the wedding. The smaller the cupcake/cake, the faster it can lose freshness. At 6 or 7am, I am up baking them. I use an ice cream scoop (about 1/3 cup capacity?) to fill the papers. That makes them bake to just the top of the liner, but not over. Don't underbake them, or the foil liners can actually pull away from the baked cupcake!

Cool, then ice.

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 17

if you dont mind, what tip do you use to make the swirl on a jumbo cupcake?

chellebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebelle Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 17

Wilton Tip 1M is what I use for the swirl

Chelle

antonia74 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 17

I use the Ateco tip #826. It's probably just like the Wilton 1M.

stephanie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie73 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 17

This is my first post so I hope it works icon_smile.gif

My future sister in law has asked me to make her cupcakes for her wedding this summer and I was wondering if anyone has frozen cupcakes before. The problem is my husband, daughter, son and I are all in the wedding party and I won't have time to make them that morning or even the day before.

Any suggestions?

antonia74 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 17

The only cupcake that I do that seems to be even BETTER after freezing/thawing is Carrot Cake. For some reason, they seem yummier and even more moist. As for spongecake cupcakes, they just don't taste "right" to me after freezing. icon_razz.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 17

How do you fill cupcakes?

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 17

your cakes are awesome antonio....hoping to try some and was wondering about you clebration cake...it was a full body without the head possibly for a person who sews...Also who did your display boxes for your cupcakes...I am in love with those and would love a set for myself.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 17

Here is a tutorial from a former member of CC..
Cali4dawn.. She has wonderful tutuorials..
http://community.webshots.com/photo/105830324/1192813563051689275xbPoHs

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 17

Long thin tube.

But I usually do not fill cupcakes. Too messy.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 17

thanks, that looks easy enough!

antonia74 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Tilisha!

I think the cake you mean is the "Dressmaker's Form" I did? It was a while ago, but I think I just used three 9" x 13" cake layers, filled them thinly and then chilled it. Then cut it out freehand and covered in fondant. (I remember I onlly had a few hours to do it and I was working like a crazy person that night! hahaha!)

I had a local carpenter make the display stand for my cupcakes. It is made of hollow MDF and painted in non-toxic ivory oil paint to resist any stains. It is HUGE, with 4 box tiers...6" square, 12" square, 24" square and 36" square by about 25" tall. Copied from a Martha Stewart magazine from 2002 or 2003?

candyladyhelen Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 12:44am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

About 60% of my orders this year are for Cupcake Towers. you can check my website and my Photos here for some ideas if you'd like?

What I do is I make my buttercream icing the day before the wedding and re-whip it when I'm about to ice the cupcakes.

I use the jumbo cupcake papers for the best amount of cake. Large ones are okay too though. The foil ones are great, but slightly smaller than I prefer.

I don't bake them until the morning of the wedding. The smaller the cupcake/cake, the faster it can lose freshness. At 6 or 7am, I am up baking them. I use an ice cream scoop (about 1/3 cup capacity?) to fill the papers. That makes them bake to just the top of the liner, but not over. Don't underbake them, or the foil liners can actually pull away from the baked cupcake!

Cool, then ice.

Antonia, Your cakes are fantastic! May I ask what you use for the square display? Is it decorated boxes? And do you charge the same per slice charge for the CCWC as you do for your wedding cakes? Helen

antonia74 Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:21am
post #15 of 17

Here is the answer Candyladyhelen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I had a local carpenter make the display stand for my cupcakes. It is made of hollow MDF and painted in non-toxic ivory oil paint to resist any stains. It is HUGE, with 4 box tiers...6" square, 12" square, 24" square and 36" square by about 25" tall. Copied from a Martha Stewart magazine from 2002 or 2003?

I charge $40 for the 2-day rental of the stand, $15 for the 26 feet of ribbon to go around all 4 tiers, $2.25 per cupcake, 25 to 50 cents for additional decorating on the cupcake and $30 for the triple-layer 6" cake that goes on the top tier for the cutting ceremony.

My cakes are $3.50 per slice for a buttercream-iced cake and $4.00 per slice for a fondant-iced cake. thumbs_up.gif

stephanie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie73 Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:23am
post #16 of 17

Thank you for the tip Antonia. Your cakes are absolutely beautiful and I only hope mine turns out half as nice!

candyladyhelen Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 4:22am
post #17 of 17

Thanks Antonia! The info has really helped. Helen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%