Scratch Yellow Or White Cake Recipes

Baking By farrah Updated 2 Feb 2006 , 12:42am by bakersofcakes

farrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farrah Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 8

Hi gang....I would like to start making some from scratch cakes since I have the whole cake mix doctoring down solid. for a great tasting yellow or white cake what would you suggest

7 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 8

I have used Carol's White Cake with Lemon Filling recipe on this site and changed the fillings numerous times. It is SO good!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 8

Chris, can you link Carol's recipe? I could not find it.

I have had good results with recipes from The Cake Bible and from Martha Stewart. I experimented with a bunch of white cake recipes this summer and the Silver Anniversay cake type recipes turned out well, but had a very delicate crumb. I will have to try that recipe again since I am much better now at properly mixing batters and folding in egg whites. Still have several yellow recipes to try. Everyone is on a New Year's diet so I'm short on guinea pigs right now. icon_smile.gif

Scratch white cake should NOT taste like sweet cornbread. Shred any recipe that gives you that result.

Remove the scratch cake from the oven while crumbs stick to the toothpick. Scratch cakes will not forgive you if you overbake them.

Good luck!

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 8

bubblezmom, the link that bakersofcakes posted is the recipe which I use (sorry about the slow response), was forced away from my computer! LOL

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 8

I don't think I've made a white cake without butter, but I am the daring sort and will give this one a try one day. I'm hoping after Valentine's day all my guinea pigs will go back to scarfing down cake. icon_smile.gif Thanks!

ChrisJ Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 8

It really is delicious and it bakes nice and even, I've never have had to level off the cake and I've made it over 8 times icon_smile.gif but it does take a lot of egg whites! I've never tried the lemon filling part of it, I've used the box which I find tastes the same and much easier.

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:42am
post #8 of 8

What would that cake be like with just icing, without any filling? Does the cake itself end up moist? My family likes box mixes so far. I haven't found a white cake from scratch they like (some won't even eat them icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Also, is the filling like a lemon pudding? I'm thinking jello cooked for a lemon meringue pie (minus the meringue & crust icon_wink.gif ).

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%