Character Cakes

Decorating By SScakes Updated 1 Feb 2006 , 5:43am by tastycakes

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:17am
post #1 of 14

Hi

To those of you who do character cakes, I take my hat off. I did a Scooby Doo cake yesterday but not in a character pan. It was more of a transfer. I do my own edible images and I printed a colouring page of Scooby and cut it out and used that as my transfer and then piped the lines and stars and filled it in. I was so stressed out. It came out really nice (will post a pic when I download the picture) but took almost 2 hours to do and this did not include the time I spent on mixing of the colours.
I will definately do this again 'cause it was a lot of fun but I will definately not think that it was take just an hour.

Regards
Shamani icon_smile.gif

13 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:35am
post #2 of 14

Hi Shamani,

I do alot of character cakes and am doing either gel or buttercream transfers now to cut down on all those stars.

I trully hate those stars icon_cry.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:45am
post #3 of 14

Yes, you do alot of character cakes and they look great! Can you explain how you do your gel transfers and if it transfers pretty easily?

stephanie214 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:22am
post #4 of 14

Schmoop,

I draw my picture onto wax paper and use the gel to outline the details on the opposite side and then lay the paper on the cake and lightly brush over the outline to get the gel on the cake after the cake has crusted.

The buttercream transfer is getting easier to me since I've been doing alot of them recently.

Schmoop Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:28am
post #5 of 14

Thanks! I tried a couple BCT's, had issues. I have freehanded, but I am sure this looks crisper!

stephanie214 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:44am
post #6 of 14

Forgot to tell you that you will need help when you turn the picture over to place on the cake...depending on how large your pattern is.

SScakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 9:07am
post #7 of 14

Hi

Here is a picture of the finished cake. Did not come out too clear though.
Thanks to mccoy1113 where I saw a pic of a cake that she did.

Regards
Shamani
LL

Schmoop Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 14

Are those stars you used in Scooby Doo?

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 14

Hi, I do alot of FBCT.. BUT it takes to much icing in different colors and I havent invested in plastic re-usable bags. I am going through the box of parchment paper like it's going out of style!!!!
Although, that will be history soon... I HOPE! I am praying I get an order for a Quincenera cake and with that money I am investing in a edible image printer!!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 14

I hate those stars too!!!!! I do quite a few character cakes. I charge more for the ones that require doing all those d%$# stars because it takes so much longer to do them. I love doing FBCT (instructions are on my website in the FAQ section) because they can be done so far in advance. I started using the edible images last year simply because I was receiving so many requests for them. I resisted for a long time because I didn't see ANYTHING creative about using them. But I've since found various ways to use the images in a creative way.

But I really do HATE those stars icon_cry.gif

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 14

I just about NEVER use the stars anymore. I learned from this site how to do a FBCT....LOVE IT! That is what I do for most of my cakes. They are pretty quick, use way less icing and color, can be made up ahead of time, and just look sooo good!

stephanie214 Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 14

Shamani,

Your Scooby is fantastic thumbs_up.gif

DDiva,

I'm the same way...I HATE STARS!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

SScakes Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 5:34am
post #13 of 14

Thanks DDiva. The little boy came with his dad to collect yesterday and he really loved it.

Schmoop : yes they are stars.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 5:43am
post #14 of 14

Shamani, I agree with you - Scooby for some reason is one of the most time consuming characters! he always takes me a couple of hours. SpongeBob is next, he always come out cute, but it takes forever!!! I love when the kids come to get their cake. Most of the time it's just a parent or someone on the way to the party and you don't get to see their reaction!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%