Marshmallow Fondant

Baking By Wendoger Updated 27 May 2006 , 12:18pm by bodaisy

carla13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carla13 Posted 18 May 2006 , 12:06pm
post #31 of 37

i made my 2nd batch of mmf last night and it seems stiff and still sticks to my hands somewhat. i've try adding a little bit of water and this helps but the longer i knead it , it starts getting sticky feeling again. what am i doing wrong?

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:57pm
post #32 of 37

If it is really warm at your house your mmf might get sticky. Mine did that yesterday evening and I had to put it away for a little while and just let it rest.

Just keep adding crisco to your hands and the surface you are working on.

It is probably stiff because you are adding too much powdered sugar. If you use 2 tablespoons of water it will not take the whole 2 lbs of sugar. I add 3 (sometimes 3 1/2) TBSP and half a TBSP of flavoring and it usually comes out nice and soft.

CakeNewbie7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeNewbie7 Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:42pm
post #33 of 37

How long do you think MMF lasts already prepared if you have left overs?

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:33pm
post #34 of 37

It will last on your coutner for a couple of weeks. I freeze mine and and then let it thaw on the counter and use it again when I need it. It lasts for a few months like that.
I always like to have a little bit in the freezer in case I need to do some things ahead of time. Then I don't have to make a whole batch for a few little things.

Ishynooshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishynooshy Posted 27 May 2006 , 9:36am
post #35 of 37

i was just wondering...is it possible to make MMF with home-made MM...? Or does it have to be the ones at the supermarket filled with "stuff"?

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:13pm
post #36 of 37

If you grease your hands liberally and the countertop it'll be wicked easy. It takes about 8-10minutes to have a nice ball of mmf. One tip: when microwaving the mm's DONT forget the 2 tbl of water. Start the micro on defrost then after a couple of stirs w/the spoon turn the dial to medium. this way they won't melt too fast. Keep stirring every 15-20 seconds and be sure to scrape the sides. I personally use only the Jet-puffed mm and the domino sugar. (It seems to work the best for me :0) ) Then if you have a chance to get a wilton mat and the mmf rolling pin.... GET THEM they will be your bestest friend w/mmf. After the mm are ready I then pour all of the confect sugar on the mat in a pile then make a small well in the middle then pour all of the mm in the middle. (remember to take OFF all rings prior) GREASE your hands in the middle in the cracks in between your fingers AND the backs of your hands.... KEEP the crisco handy!!!!!! once I do that then knead away sister..... Like I said it'll take a good 8-10 minutes to get a good ball. If it feels too dry and crumbly in the process... add a LITTLe bit of water to your mixture. Like 1tsp at a time. KEEP coating your hands w/the crisco as you go the crisco will knead into the mmf making it more pliable.

Once you store it and it becomes a little dry... just add some crisco to it and it'll become more pliable..

hope this helps
b

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:18pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBeth

The only place that carries a 16 ounce bag of marshmallows where I live is Wal-mart. I really prefer not having to weigh it out. I guess I am lazy. icon_smile.gif

I guess were very lucky as that's where I go to get the mm from and they are reasonablly priced...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%