Terrible Day At The Vet

Lounge By beccakelly Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 1:16pm by bluehen92

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 12

i just got home from taking my ferret, izzy, to the vet (her pic is my avatar). she' s been losing some hair on her tail, and we were worried it was a symptom of adrenal disease. the vet was concerned but said its too early to tell yet. need to wait a few months even, to see if the hair loss continues or if it gets better. (stress or seasonal changes can also cause hairloss). but while we're there we get her annual rabies vaccination. not even 10 minutes after her vaccination she has a reaction to it. her fur started puffing up, the way it does when she's scared, and she vomited twice, started freaking out, and just looked overall miserable. they gave her more meds for the reaction, and are keeping her for observation for a few hours.

so, not only will she likely end up with adrenal disease, she got so sick from the vaccine! its so sad to have to leave the vets office without your pet.

just had to share, thanks for listening.

11 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 12

OMG! Pets are like babies, we hurt when they hurt.... I know what you mean....

((((((((((((((((big hugs)))))))))))))))
Keep us posted on how it goes

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 12

Will keep my fingers crossed for you and for Izzy. I have quite fond memories of ferrets - my first ever boyfriend kept ferrets and on our first date I got to hold them. Which was fine until one of them pee'ed on my lovely new cardigan - kind of took the shine off the date for me cos all i could think about was, 'Can he smell the wee on me????', and then wondering what kind of impression I was making on him mum when I was introduced to her a shortwhile later! Anyway, hope Izzy perks up soon and that the hair loss situ is not due to adrenal disease. Please let us know how she gets on.

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 12

Well, I hate to say I know how you feel, but unfortunately I know only too well. I can't count the number of times I had to leave my cat at the vet for the day, walking out without them is a very empty feeling. My kitty suffered from megacolon and visited the vets often. But on the very bright side, finally had surgery for the problem and is doing extemely well. So, always keep your chin up, I was so low but not ever ready to give up! Things have a way of working out...vets are good people.
Saying a few prayers for your pet

Michele

nikkifoster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkifoster Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 12

Hope Izzy is okay!!! I work at a vet and I know it is hard!! Ha! I hate brining my dog to work because he hates it there! He doesn't like to go to work with Mommy! icon_cry.gif

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 12:20am
post #6 of 12

hugs is IZZY.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:52am
post #7 of 12

Does this mean he will not be able to get vacinated anymore? I have a dog (Yorkie) that has problems with rabies vacs. He develops a huge bald spot within 4 months after the vac. I told the vet I don't want to give him anymore because he is so small that eventually he will be a hairless Yorkie. He said there was a new type on the market that should not affect him. Not sure now what I will do. Hope Izzy feels better soon.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:58am
post #8 of 12

Here is hoping Izzy feels better soon.--Reactions to vaccinations - if caught in time- are rairly serious. Epinephrine is given as well as Benadryl to stop the reaction. Usually all is well soon. Izzy will need extra hugs and a smooch on the top of her head tomorrow though. icon_lol.gif

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:09am
post #9 of 12

Awwww! Poor lil' IZZY!

My sons had a ferret for years. Chalupa was quite the girl! I really wouldn't worry too much about her hair loss. Chalupa lost her hair 4 different times! It started near her tail, and worked it's way up her body, until she was COMPLETELY BALD and HAIRLESS!! I'm totally serious. She looked like a naked mole rat!

One time, I even thought she was going to die. I had told my son to make peace with it, and I had given her 14 days before putting her to sleep. She lost weight, didn't eat well, etc. And she was bald. All she did was wait for my son to get home, and he'd sit on the couch with his legs crossed and hold her in her blankie in the space between his knees. She'd sleep there most of the afternoon/evenings after he'd get home.

So finally---just a few little hairs would pop out--and she'd soon have a soft, new furry coat coming in! What a relief! (Reminds me about the prayers of children...)

But yeah. She didn't have the adrenal disease, and we never did figure out why she'd lose her hair. OH!! And it did come off in strips, too. Like it'd start out near her tail, and a strip would shed off up to her neck, then it'd strip off another place the same way. Wierd.

She's fine now, though. And after the DS moved out and couldn't take her with him, we gave her to another officer who has a loving home for her--she's going strong!

Try not to worry. I'm almost SURE your IZZY will be better. Just give her some months, and her furry lil' self will return!

Keep us up to date!!

-M-

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:18am
post #10 of 12

awwww poor baby!!! I know how you feel we recently found out our cat has f eline leukemia. It is such a shame he is the sweetest cat I have ever had. icon_cry.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:09am
post #11 of 12

Ferrets have the most adorable faces. Poor Izzy, I hope your feeling better.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 12

Sorry to hear about your bad day icon_sad.gif I know all too well the empty feeling of leaving your baby there for the night. I hope all is well today & you can bring her home.

-Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%