Giant Decorated Cookie Q?

Baking By Melvira Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 4:55pm by Monna7122

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 46

I just received a last minute order for a large round CChip cookie decorated with buttercream. I have the Wilton heart shaped cookie pan, but not the round, and she definitely wants round!! Would you just line one of your regular cake pans with foil and use that? I don't really have time to order a pan, and live almost an hour away from the nearest craft/deco store. (I could go buy something if I had to!) Has anyone else used a 'plain old' cake pan for this, or do you have another helpful suggestion? I have a pizza pan, but it's the kind with holes in the bottom, so I'm not sure that would work. Any thoughts?

Edited to add: I DO have a Wal-mart within 15 minutes... but it's a small-town version, I wonder if they'd have a pizza pan without holes...?

45 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 46

Hey, Melissa!

I have seen the pans they use in the local giant decorated cookie store - it's a 12" round pizza pan. All she does is grease the edges a little, so the cookie does not stick when she de-pans it.

Some Wal-Marts sell the round pizza pans, some do not - I have three WallyWorlds near me, and only the local superstore sells them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 46

Awesome! Thanks for that!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 46

Why not just bake on a sheet pan you already have? Turn the pan on its back (flat side up) if you're worried about getting the cookie over the raised edge of the pan.

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 46

My pizza pan has holes in it, but I just cover it with foil and my giant cookies bake just fine. HTH

Melvira Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 46

I suppose I could do that... cookies are used to be baked without pan sides...

I have some options to consider now... that's awesome!

lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 46

I use my round Pampered Chef stone. Then I take a cake circle and place it on top and cut around it to make the perfect size. I do this with my sugar cookies and they work out great!

mom23girlstoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23girlstoo Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 46

I just use my regualar cake pans... grease like would a cake and it should release just fine.

No need for a special pan!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawagner

My pizza pan has holes in it, but I just cover it with foil and my giant cookies bake just fine. HTH

Ahhh I knew there was a way around the holes! icon_wink.gif

mom23girlstoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23girlstoo Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 46

I should add... I used a 11x15 cake pan (see my photos) BUT it had the side edges raised.

I've done others that didn't do thatby not spreading the cookie dough out to the edges.... as the dough melts and cooks it'll spread out to the edges on its own. Stay about 1" away or so.... good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsomethinsweet

I use my round Pampered Chef stone. Then I take a cake circle and place it on top and cut around it to make the perfect size. I do this with my sugar cookies and they work out great!

exactly what I do.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 46

I use my cake pans just use the pan release I go up to the 16 inch round in my photo and I do the rectangles too. It all works fine don't buy extra pans. I did and it's a waste. I want to add people like them better this way cause I make them thicker than the thin ones with no sides, they are a much softer cookie cake.

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 46

So Im curious now about the cookie cakes... can someone post their general directions? How much dough? How long do you cook them for? Cool then decorate?

jstump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstump Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 46

I saw an Emeril show where he made a giant CC cookie on a pizza pan with holes in it & he just cut parchment paper to put in the pan to cover the holes.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 46

Yes, please tell how you make a giant cookie! My son is bored of cake now, but still loves buttercream and cookies, so I said I'd do a giant decorated cookie for his birthday, but I have no idea how lol!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 46

Depending on the size you want, and I usually make 12-14", I would use about 1/2 batch or a little more of dough. I put a parchment circle on my stone (but you can use a pizza pan or your cake pans) and spread the dough until it's about 3/4" thick. It is about 2 inches from the edges of the parchment when I'm done. I bake mine at 350 for about 30 min-but it depends on the size. You can test doneness just like you would test your normal cookies at that point. I don't like mine hard at all.

Then, let it cool slightly, and pull the parchment onto a rack until it cools completely. Slide to a covered board and decorate. My stepdaughter always requests a giant choc chip cookie for her birthday cake. I decorate with BC.

Melvira Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #17 of 46

Decorated CC Cookie cakes are a marvelous break from the same old same old! Before I got into making them I would get one every great once in a while at the place at the mall... but I would make them frost the whole top...none of this chinzy little piped design... cover that baby! Then you can pipe whatever the heck you want on it! icon_wink.gif

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #18 of 46

I worked at The Great American Cookie Co. for 4 years and this is what we did for our giant cookies: take a cardboard circle, square, heart, whatever shape you want- place a larger piece of parchment paper on top. spread/roll your cookie dough on top of the parchment, using the cardboard underneath as the guide to your shape. Your dough should be at least 1/4 inch thick. Lift up the paper to the light and you'll be able to see if the dough is evenlly spread or to thin in spots. place the parchment on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 20min. keep checking depending on thickness you might need more or less time. Let cool completely; flip baked cookie upside down on cutting board, peel off paper. Take the cardboard you used for shape, place on top of cookie to cut around edge. While holding onto cardboard, cookie and cutting board, flip back over, remove cutting board and you have your cookie on a board ready to decorate! icon_biggrin.gif HTH

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 46

I just made one last night and overbaked it icon_cry.gif Well, my kids are happy about at least. wish I would have seen this sooner.

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #20 of 46

Mmm, I love big cookies. icon_smile.gif

I find the already shaped cookie sheets to be quite small, actually. I've baked it in a sheet cake pan, and I always cut the edges (I don't like the edges). The GT heart shaped on is one that I cut out. I just use my regular CC cookie dough recipe and spread it out. I learned the hard way that it spreads (LOL), so I don't go all the way to the edge. I batch was plenty to fill my sheet pan, I think I actually had a little extra dough left (oh darn). icon_smile.gif

Definitely don't overbake. I bake mine at 350 for about 20 minutes (but I definitely watch it). It comes out PEFECT! icon_smile.gif

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #21 of 46

Good info angelcakes!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:11pm
post #22 of 46

Thanks for the info angelcakesmom, I'm definately going to give this a try, I just love BC on chocolate chip cookies.

lfkeller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lfkeller Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:18pm
post #23 of 46

anglescakesmom - What kind of icing did they use at the cookie company?

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #24 of 46

I've done cookie cakes with sugar dough in my character pans, then just outlined with BC and pipe a border. They also spread a little so I don't spread the dough quite to the edge.

angelcakesmom Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #25 of 46

The icing used at the cookie co. was shipped in buckets from the company. It was basically a white, fluffy buttercream. I used to thimk it was the best frosting before I made my own! icon_wink.gif

lfkeller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lfkeller Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:58pm
post #26 of 46

My favorite dessert is the cookie companys cookie with their icing on it. Would you care to give me the recipe you use on your cookies?

By the way. I am new to this board so this will be a really dumb question. But suppose I see a thread I would like to refer to later, but not necessairly reply to. I see some type in the word save, I understand the concept but where do you go on this website to see things you have posted?

Melvira Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm
post #27 of 46

Go to the home page and click the 'My Forum Posts' button under the header. Then you can read all of your posts, or from there you can click on 'watched topics' in the tool bar so that you don't have to sort through your posts to get to a certain thread. Each one will be listed only once. On any thread you can click the 'watch this topic' link at the bottom of the thread and you will get notices about updates even though you never posted on it! HTH!

By the way, there are no stupid questions. Unless I'm in a bad mood. Hehehe just teasing! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:58pm
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakesmom

The icing used at the cookie co. was shipped in buckets from the company. It was basically a white, fluffy buttercream. I used to thimk it was the best frosting before I made my own! icon_wink.gif

I cannot tell a lie... if I were irresponsible I would be mainlining that stuff. If you want to win me over... a double chocolate double doozie is your best bet if you're too cheap (or broke) to buy me diamonds! icon_wink.gif

But you're right... since I grew up and started making all this stuff the stuff in the store has lost some of it's appeal. Now it's more about ease and convenience. I cannot make my own cookies and icing while walking through the mall, so every great once in a while, I bow to her siren song and get one. Like once every 2 years. It stinks because the whole time I'm attempting to enjoy it I am thinking, "You know, mine are much better!" It's never as good as when you were a kid!

Melvira Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 10:01pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfkeller

I see some type in the word save...

I just realized what you were saying there... that doesn't actually do anything. They are just telling all of us that they are saving that information so that they can try that tip, or recipe, or whatever we were talking about when they get a chance. It's like saying "note to self!" icon_lol.gif

angelcakesmom Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:26pm
post #30 of 46

I still do secretly crave their double doozies too! I used to take two fresh from the oven peanut butter cookies and fill them with the chocolate frosting! Yummy...to die for!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%