Fresh Roses Cascading Down Cake???

Decorating By SherryGrrl Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 5:04am by SherryGrrl

SherryGrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherryGrrl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:17am
post #1 of 7

I have been doing wedding cakes for a year, and I've accomplished every crazy thing I've ever set out to do. Now I'm stumped by something I'm sure is really easy. My friend wants fresh real baby roses cascading down the side of her cake like a waterfall - like the pic I'm attaching, but fresh flowers instead of icing flowers. She is buying the roses herself, and I'm coming to the venue that morning with the cake to arrange the flowers. Now, if she wanted icing flowers, this would be an obvious no-brainer...just stick them on with icing. But fresh flowers? I've only used fresh flowers already arranged by the florist and ready to stick on the cake with those plastic picks. What she wants would involve the individual rose heads being placed, or maybe there is a way to wire them together in a broad band and place it on the cake? I just don't think "gluing" each one on with icing seems right...I know that roses are edible, but I've always been told there needs to be something separating the flowers from the cake regardless. Anyone ever done something like this? Please help!!!
LL

6 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:22am
post #2 of 7

There's some "rule", but I can't say what it is accurately. Was it 3, 5, 7, 10? Or something like that? Can someone help?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:23am
post #3 of 7

Whoops. I forgot to say, welcome to CC! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:26am
post #4 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=indydebi&cat=0&pos=66

I don't know if this will help or not, but the above is a link to one of my cakes with cascading real flowers. They weren't roses, but many of them are just the floral head. I attached those by putting a blob of icing on the cake and using that as a "glue" base to attach the floral. When I cut the cake for the couple, it was easy to remove the florals and the icing blob they were sitting in.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:37am
post #5 of 7

I would pick up some water picks and put the flowers in those. I wouldn't want fresh flowers attached right to my cake. Even though some flowers are edible you have to be sure they are grown for that. The ones at the florist aren't. They use spray on them that could be harmful.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 7

take floral tape and green wire with you - you can wire them in a cascade

SherryGrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherryGrrl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:04am
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys for all the help! I have some small water picks, but it seems like they wouldn't hold many stems...wouldn't I need a ton of them? I guess I'll try a combination of wiring them and the picks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%