My Buttercream Won't Crust...

Decorating By 101dal236 Updated 19 Jan 2006 , 4:32am by 101dal236

101dal236 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
101dal236 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 12:20am
post #1 of 6

I am having a horrible time with my buttercream! I am using the wilton recipe so I can have white-white icing, but it won't crust! I'm not the best at smoothing so I rely on the crust to smooth it out with parchment and it is not working. This recipe usually gives me no problem, but why this time? Any ideas welcome!

5 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:29am
post #2 of 6

Add more pwd sugar

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:33am
post #3 of 6

There may be too much butter and shortening that won't allow it to crust...You could try another batch and cut back on the shortening and butter and add more milk or water.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:46am
post #4 of 6

Is the humidity high or did you frost it frozen? These can both effect the time it takes to crust. If you used water to smooth it that will also make it take longer to crust. I agree w/bubblezmom add more powdered sugar. Kiddiekakes is also right. You may have too much butter and Shortening. Just add more powd sugar and that should save your batch you have made. Hope this helps!

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:58am
post #5 of 6

Make sure you don't cover your cake while you are waiting for it to dry. I have actully dusted a cake with powder sugar to help it crust.

101dal236 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
101dal236 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, I will try and dust it with pwd sugar. It is already on the cake so I can't add more pwd sugar now.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%