Lighter Colored Crust On White Cake

Decorating By Cinnamongirl Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm by cakesbycombs

Cinnamongirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinnamongirl Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:15am
post #1 of 4

Are there any tricks to making a white cake with a light outside. I just got a convection/microwave oven yesterday, will this work somehow? Maybe a certain kind of pan or liner? Can anyone help?

3 replies
cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:07am
post #2 of 4

i usually have the darker outside on my white cakes but if you wrap them and keep the moisture in you won't have any crusty parts. is this why you were asking? actually, a couple times i have had to leave before my cake was done baking so i just turned the oven off after it had risen and then the outside was lighter but if you had many to bake that wouldn't be very practical.

Cinnamongirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinnamongirl Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry cakesbycombs if I confused you. I used the term "crust" as a generic word for the outside of the cake. icon_redface.gif
I'd like the outside of my cakes to be a very light golden color. I thought I read something where the type of pan makes a difference. A glass pan makes a lighter color than a metal pan or vise versa.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 4

oh, i gotcha. you are right about that too. the other day i used a darker colored metal pan and the "crust" on my chocolate cake looked almost burnt. all of my other pans are aluminum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%