What Kind Of Airbrush Do You Have?

Decorating By tigerlilly Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm by gmcakes

tigerlilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerlilly Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 20

What kind of airbrush and compressor do you guys have and what are the pros and cons, what do you wish that you had but don't or what do you have that you don't need? Thanks icon_lol.gif

19 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 20

bump!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 20

We have an airmaster. Love it!

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 20

I have a badger 350 and use my DH industrial air compressor with it. Yes it's big but the pressure can be adjusted so no problem. He has a hose that hook into which is at least 20 ft. long. The Badger comes with 3 different tips so you can adjust the spray very fine to very wide.

I haven't had much opportunity to use it but to me is perfect.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 20

I'm interested in this also. I wanted to try airbrushing but didn't want to pay for a kopycake or badger, etc in case I didn't like it. I found a place called airbrush city, out of Idaho, that makes and sells their own airbrushes. I haven't tried it yet (just got it the other day, but just got the edible airbrush colors today), but it supposedly is really great for cake decorating, nail art, etc and can do from 1/32" to 1 1/2", but I'm sure that a large part of that is determined by skill. I can't wait to try it, but I wanted to wait until my husband was around to keep the kids away and he's been away on business and won't be back until Wednesday. Hope that helps.

BTW, does anybody who does airbrushing have a particular brand of airbrush paint they prefer? If so, can you tell
me why since I'm so new. Since I didn't know which kind to get, I just did the Kopycake paints.

kbrown99 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 20

I forgot to add that I was able to get it with a compressor that's small and supposedly quiet (like a vaccuum), but as I said, I haven't tried it out yet. If you want the information, let me know.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 20

I just bout that magic mist set that comes with everything including the colors. This is my practice machine and once I get the hang of it I can buy a more powerful compressor and a double action airbrush.

tigerlilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerlilly Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 20

thanks everybody. kbrown let me know how it turns out once you get a chance to play icon_biggrin.gif

kbrown99 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 20

I will be gone for the weekend so the soonest I can let you know is Monday. But I do know that it has internal mix which is supposed to be better for finer detail and it has dual action (I think is what it is called) that means you control both the air flow and the amount of paint deposited. Like I said, I'm sure it'll take lots of practice, and I'm a little overwhelmed to be honest, but I'm looking forward to it. The website for the company is www.airbrushcity.com. They have lots of information for choosing an airbrush.

But, I will definitely let you know once I get to play how it worked out.

kbrown99 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 20

Deeva,

I've heard of Wilton's Magic Mist (airbrush in a can), but I've not heard of the machine set that you're talking about. Any more info? I'd love to read about it also.

2sdae Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

I'm interested in this also. I wanted to try airbrushing but didn't want to pay for a kopycake or badger, etc in case I didn't like it. I found a place called airbrush city, out of Idaho, that makes and sells their own airbrushes. I haven't tried it yet (just got it the other day, but just got the edible today), but it supposedly is really great for cake decorating, nail art, etc and can do from 1/32" to 1 1/2", but I'm sure that a large part of that is determined by skill. I can't wait to try it, but I wanted to wait until my husband was around to keep the kids away and he's been away on business and won't be back until Wednesday. Hope that helps.

BTW, does anybody who does airbrushing have a particular brand of airbrush paint they prefer? If so, can you tell
me why since I'm so new. Since I didn't know which kind to get, I just did the Kopycake paints.

I bought one from them off ebay for good deal.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #12 of 20
Quote:

Deeva,

I've heard of Wilton's Magic Mist (airbrush in a can), but I've not heard of the machine set that you're talking about. Any more info? I'd love to read about it also.

[/url]http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD1250[/url]

This is the set I purchased from my cake supply store. The owner of the store repairs these if something is wrong so I figured it was a win win for me right now. I havent been able to find any articles about this one anywhere though.

kbrown99 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:23am
post #13 of 20

2sdae

Have you tried yours yet? How do you like it? Are you already really experienced? Any tips? Did you get the GD100 or the GD102? I'm really excited to try mine, but, admittedly, a bit intimidated too.

I actually got mine from their website instead of Ebay, although I learned about them from Ebay when I was looking for a cake decorating airbrush many months ago (can't say this was an impulse buy). I ended up buying it from the website because I needed the compressor to and it ended up being less expensive to buy the set (airbrush and compressor) through the website than to buy the airbrush on Ebay and then the compressor elsewhere, especially considering shipping.

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:24am
post #14 of 20

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/airbrush/airbrush.htm

I found a pretty cool one on this site ^^ it is kind of pricey but, if you had an air compresor it wouldnt be too bad.

2sdae Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

2sdae

Have you tried yours yet? How do you like it? Are you already really experienced? Any tips? Did you get the GD100 or the GD102? I'm really excited to try mine, but, admittedly, a bit intimidated too.

I actually got mine from their website instead of Ebay, although I learned about them from Ebay when I was looking for a cake decorating airbrush many months ago (can't say this was an impulse buy). I ended up buying it from the website because I needed the compressor to and it ended up being less expensive to buy the set (airbrush and compressor) through the website than to buy the airbrush on Ebay and then the compressor elsewhere, especially considering shipping.

I bought the 2gallon 1/2 H.P. aircompressor and 4 airbrush guns. 1 single action, 1 single action gravity feed models 1401 an 1402. Then I also got 2 dual action models 1620 and 1104. So I guess I'll see which dual I like better first. The single action aren't as detailed. I like being able to control the air pressure as well as amount of paint the gun puts out. I haven't been able to try it on a cake yet due to needing a new table set up and spray tent set up too. I am going to purchase them today and spray, spray away!!

kbrown99 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 20

I finally got to try my airbrush (DH has been out of town a lot). The airbrush compressor is really quiet, especially once you get the hoses and airbrush attached. The airbrush itself seems to be really good quality (for what I know) and easy enough to use. I'm just now learning how to do this so I think the difficulties I was having were with me, not the airbrush. I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase. HTH

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys.

MabrysSweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MabrysSweetDreams Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:03pm
post #17 of 20

Can you use one of the airbrush/compressor sets that they sell at walmart for spraying models?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 20

You are better off using an airbrush designed for cakes as the compressors for model brushing can (and do) blow holes in the frosting even at the lowest settings.

trini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trini Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:40pm
post #19 of 20

hi ladies is it possible to use a compressor from a asthma machine i bought one in a yard sale icon_confused.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:

I found a place called airbrush city, out of Idaho, that makes and sells their own airbrushes. I haven't tried it yet (just got it the other day, but just got the edible today), but it supposedly is really great for cake decorating, nail art, etc and can do from 1/32" to 1 1/2", but I'm sure that a large part of that is determined by skill. I can't wait to try it, but I wanted to wait until my husband was around to keep the kids away and he's been away on business and won't be back until Wednesday. Hope that helps.

I have seen these airbrushes (individually and in sets) on eBay! They have some pretty good prices and I have even considered picking one up to have as a back-up for mine.

I own a Magic-Mist pro model, very similar to the Kopykake models. As far as recommending airbrush colors...I have used Chefmaster and Americolor. Americolor is my favorite by far, they have beautiful true colors, and I have had no trouble with them fading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%