Betty Crocker 200 Piece Cake Decorating Kit

Decorating By scrapmomof3 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm by objoref

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 14

I just saw this advertised on tv. Do any of you own this? If so, how do you like it?

13 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 14

Never heard of it before. Sorry.

scrapmomof3 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 14
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 14

I just watched the demo.....interesting.....but how would you switch colors, not only would you have to clean the tip....but the nozzle as well....also I have bought extras of my most used tips (so I dont have to stop and wash) and since they are not sold at the craft stores, you couldnt do that........I think getting the medium sized wilton set (normally $49.99 at Michaels) with a 40% off coupon (making it around $30.........is a better long term value...

Just my opinion though!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 14

I think that it would be difficult to use if you had only a small amount of icing in the bag. Did you notice it loaded from the tip-end of the bag?

I started with a similar kit years ago, except that it had a traditional coupler and bag arrangement. I HATED the plastic tips. They never seemed to get a "crisp" edge to shells or petals.

RedPanda

minnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnow Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 14

I got the Betty Crocker kit several months ago but haven't tried it yet. It looked interesting on the TV. After looking at it I'm not so sure it's a good investment; maybe something for little girls wanting to decorate with mom. The tips are all plastic and the shape of the bags reminds of the bags you use in those baby bottles from way back when (or do they still have those? LOL). Anyway like I said it looked interesting and you got a little of something so that if you weren't serious about decorating and didn't want to invest a lot of money in Wilton products you'd have some basic items. As for me I'm a sucker for buying cake decorating supplies so I'll keep buying Wilton and the other expensive "toys".

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 14

Hmm...I dont know about that. I particularly am freaked out by the angled decorating bag, that is odd. The pattern presses and things look like wiltons but I dont like plastic tips, I am a newbie but they just dont have the same feel for me, maybe i am nuts (ok I am nuts but not sure if it applies to this). I dont know which way to go with this. Part of me says hell no..no no no..no no..no, mostly because it never really shows them using the tools, only acting like it or cutting away before they finish using it. The other part says Wiltons presses and things are plastic and whats the difference there? I guess if you are feeling gutsy (sp? dont know dont care) add up the cost of the stuff you really think might work(patterns etc), and or work with the products you already have (aka the angle bags might not be able to work with the things you have) and then total those same on wilton.com or at your local store. If it is cheaper to buy the set go for it, if not pass.

Just my thoughts! ~alicia

scrapmomof3 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 14

Actually I don't really think I would use the bags or tips, but was more interested in the patterns, stencils and cake combs. I just thought it might be a good set for additional designs. I would probably stick with the Wilton bags and tips as I think you would get a better finish.

Lisa

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:01am
post #9 of 14

I have got that kit for my bd and I am not using it. Actually a week after I got BC kit I went and bought Wilton's kit which I like much more. First, those bags and tips from BC kit will only work with a lot of icing in the bag and a lot of icing will be left in those big tips. Plus they are angled and I found it almost impossible for me to use them. I haven't used the combs, I think those would probably work ok. I liked the CD with instructions though and it helped me to get started with decorating. Well maybe one day I will use the rest of the kit too. icon_smile.gif

objoref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
objoref Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 14

Hi,

This is a message for the 2 members who wrote in this topic before me saying they have it but don't use it .. if you want to sell it contact me ...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 14

Wilton makes those pattern press things, they look just the same only blue and Wilton sells them for $6.99 (the same as they did a decade ago when I bought them icon_biggrin.gif ).

I'm not too sure how many cake combs a person needs either.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:02am
post #12 of 14

I'm pretty sure that I read some amazon reviews about this and it was universally hated except by a couple that sounded like shills. Considering you won't be using a lot of the things in it, I'd buy the appropriate wilton tools and save yourself some money.

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #13 of 14

I bought it a couple years ago...it's very awkward to use...bought the Wilton set...much, much easier!

objoref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
objoref Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks to all of you for your answers ...

At first I've only thought buying the Betty Crocker because it was'nt expensive and there was a few accessories in it that I would have liked to have (the press letter kit and the shape press & the comb for icing) but I was'nt sure of the efficiency of the decorating kit with the bags and the plastic tips.

I was thinking that it would cost me less if I bought the Betty Crocker kit to get the 3 items I wanted in it than if I bought them separatly in the Wilton brand but after reading your post I think I'll follow your suggestion and look for a Wilton kit as it seems to be a better investment than the Betty Crocker kit ...

Thanks again and have a nioe day.

Ps : question for OMGitsaLisa : what does shills means ? (I'm french)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%