The Taste Of Antonias Icing...

Baking By jjbrink Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 4:14am by Melvira

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:39pm
post #31 of 42

Wow thanks Dawn for the heads up, I love CC and you all. Yep Crisco breaks down the RI for certain!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:31pm
post #32 of 42

So Dawn which recipe do you use? I emailed the people from Golda's and asked for the ingrdients in the McCalls merengue powder and this is the list she gave me.

meringue powder has the
following ingredients:
icing sugar, egg albumen, maltodextrin, glucose solids, cream of tartar,
gum tragacanth, vanillin
Although we're not familiar with the flavouring claim to which you refer,
the McCalls meringue powder does contain vanillin (one of the flavouring
compounds in pure vanilla), which the Wilton meringue powder does not.

So this could be the difference, let's give it a try folks..... thumbs_up.gif Oh this was for the 1.5 K whatever if that makes a difference.?????

jtkempton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtkempton Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:53pm
post #33 of 42

could you use less meringue powder?
I have heard of people making vanilla sugar by placing a vanilla bean in it. I wonder if you could do that with meringue powder or the powder sugar?

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:48pm
post #34 of 42

[quote="debster"]So Dawn which recipe do you use?

I use Antonia's recipe, but substitute 2tsp of water with almond flavoring, I do use wilton's MP, but made a note of which one Antonia uses (read it on a previous thread) just incase I run into a problem& need to switch.

So far, so good for me...Good Luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #35 of 42

I generally use Wilton's meringue powder (easily accessible and inexpensive) but about two or three months ago I did get a very bad batch -- tasted really strange, smelled weird and wouldn't set up! No, not all meringue powders are created equal! icon_rolleyes.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #36 of 42

I must say I have only used Wilton's. That being said it is because I get it cheap with the local craft store coupons. I have never had a problem so far. But I will try the alternatives since I too find it bitter until it has hardened. I will forward to that.
Claire

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 4:33pm
post #37 of 42

I, too, normally use Wilton, and it does have a terrible smell! Almost rancid smelling at times! I finally bought some from Country Kitchen SweetArt, so I am anxious for this can of Wilton to be gone so I can open the CK and see if it's better!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:31pm
post #38 of 42

Has anyone used powdered vanilla? That comes in very handy....I add it to almost everything - great stuff......and cheap! icon_lol.gif shoot, I add a couple shakes to my homemade pancakes too....

Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #39 of 42

Hey CakeDiva, where do you get yours?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:10pm
post #40 of 42

They sell it at the cake decorating store in town....it's by CK Products and it's only $1.25 for a bottle...... but here is a link to some online.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=FL0125&bhcd2=1172873377

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

They sell it at the cake decorating store in town....it's by CK Products and it's only $1.25 for a bottle...... but here is a link to some online.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=FL0125&bhcd2=1172873377

Thanks for helping us, CakeDiva73. I have a question for you: how much do you normally put it in your icing? I think I'm going to try your method someday and see how well it taste and smell.

Melvira Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #42 of 42

I'm glad I got that information when I did CakeDiva! I was in the middle of a CK order when you said that, so I ordered a bottle to see how I like it!! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%