Tres Leches Iii

Decorating By MomoRox Updated 19 Dec 2005 , 6:53pm by bubblezmom

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 2

Someone asked me for a Tres Leches cake and got the tres leches III recipe from here. I thought I did everything right but when the cooled they had shrunk to half the size and turned out to be more of a really stiff pound cake consistency. It didn't absorb any of the milke and then when I went ice the cake the milks mixed with the icing and that was another story. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong. Here is the recipe I followed from the website. I told the lady i made it for that I was going to keep trying and she would be my tester. She is hispanic and is familiar with some really good ones. Mine wasn't it. She was very sweet about it though.

Also I used this and then 1/2 to make enough mixture for 2 10" round cakes

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
9 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
9 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well after each addition. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until whites form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter using a rubber spatula. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

3 Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

4 In a small bowl, stir together the 2 cups heavy cream, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. Pour the mixture over the cake until it wont absorb any more. You may have 1/3 to 1/4 left over. That's okay.

1 reply
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 2

I use this tres leches cake recipe and it creates a wonderful sponge cake. I make 1/2 of the milks recipe and allow the cake to soak overnight.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/504-pastel-de-tres-leches.html

and someone had good luck with this very similar recipe

http://www.texascooking.com/features/sept2002treslechescakerecipe.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%