Wilton Class Issue

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 3:14pm by zoraya

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 23

So I finally signed up for the first class and I'm pretty disappointed. I don't feel like the instructor really cares about how we are doing. She leaves the class about 30 minutes before class is over and walks around the store, talks to other employees, etc. She has never seen any of the cakes that I have completed in class. I wouldn't think that this is typical, but, is it? I'm talking this class to learn and hopefully to be good at it. She teaches it with the attitude of this is just a fun thing to do to take up this evening. I think I'm going to call another local store and find out about their instructor...

22 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 23

That's not typical at all. I stay with my students the entire class and even accompany them to the isle where the cake supplies are located and help them with their purchases when necessary. I've even had a couple of students that I felt just needed a little additional help and I've invited them to my home to work with them for a few hours just to make sure they understood and could accomplish their cake decorating techniques. Talk to the store manager. The instructor doesn't need to be doing this at all !!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 23

I can't give you any advice as to whether this is normal or not as we don't have Wilton's courses here. But I definately think you should advise the owner of what's happening. I believe the course costs money, doesn't matter how much, and that money is paying her wage so she should be doing her job properly. Let someone know and don't let her waste your money.

Good luck
Mary

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 23

This is not normal. I would talk to the store manager to see how this could be resolved. My instructor was very caring. She was in the proccess of opening up her own shop, still made time for the calss. She was often there after class was over helping students. I hope everything works out for you.

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 23

Heatherly30, I'm so sorry that your teacher is not encouraging you to be the best at cake decorating. All the teachers are not like that. Maybe you should speak to your teacher about the lack of attention that she gives to you/class. If things don't change try speaking to the store manager or writting Wilton about your complaint.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 23

The only time I leave the class when my students are there is to get the certificate signed. She shouldn't be socializing during class time.

I would do as suggested above and talk to the manager. You could also contact Wilton and let them know the situation. Sadly WMIs are not really monitored so there are some instructors that do not do as they should and unless someone speaks up, no one knows about it.

Is there another location in your area that teaches the classes? If so, I would go to another store for the next course.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 23

That's awful, My instuctor never did that to us. Sounds like you need to speak with her manager. I'm sure it feels like a waste of time if no one cares what is done during class.

meredetrois Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredetrois Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 23

I would definitely talk to the owner/manager of the store. That has not been my experience at all. Like the above poster, my instructor even takes the time to give us a tour of the cake decorating aisle.

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 23

I agree with everyone else, talk to the store manager. Your instructor should not be doing this at all. thumbsdown.gif Since you are LEARNING, she should be there to MONITOR your techniques. icon_mad.gif
Complain! You probably don't want to be a meanie like me icon_mad.gif , but just voice your opinion---firmly! Don't budge until they give you some sort of compensation...the next course for free, a refund, take the course again, whatever!
You should get what you paid for....LESSONS!!!

Here's a tip...next time put a bit of icing in her seat so she'll stick to it!! icon_wink.gif

Jescar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jescar Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 23

Oh My.... icon_confused.gif
Did we have the same Teacher??? icon_eek.gif
I took my classes the summer of 06.
She said we are here to have fun.
But when we didn't do something right She would get mad and yell...
I dropped out of my 3rd class cause of her.
I was sick with the flu...
I called to see if I could make up the class...
(cause she said we could...)and she kept making up excuses....

I'm sorry that you had a bad teacher...
I would like to take the classes all over again...(W/ another teacher)
Maybe she was having a couple of bad months...???
Who Knows.....

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 23

Jescar...I sent you a PM...

I guess I'll call Hobby Lobby and ask about their teacher. I have 1 class left, so I'll finish it and figure out what to do from there. I will contact the manager before this is all over. Such a disappointment!

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:25am
post #12 of 23

I had a bad instructor also. I did take the first 2 with her and then switched to a different Michael's for the third. She flipped thru magazines eating chips while we were decorating. She didn't teach us clowns because she did not like clowns. She started teaching us rose buds, but then admitted she did not know how to do them herself and said "let's just say we did them"! She sucked! I called Wilton and they told me to call the store, I never did. She still teaches there and that was 2 years ago. Oh, and when she would demonstrate with her icing, she would constantly lick the icing off her fingers! It was gross! We weren't eating the icing, but still, MANNERS!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

That's not typical at all. I stay with my students the entire class and even accompany them to the isle where the cake supplies are located and help them with their purchases when necessary. I've even had a couple of students that I felt just needed a little additional help and I've invited them to my home to work with them for a few hours just to make sure they understood and could accomplish their cake decorating techniques. Talk to the store manager. The instructor doesn't need to be doing this at all !!

This is so accurate! Your instructor is NOT the norm. I've done the same thing as ntertayneme, came early, stayed late and given additional instruction to students at home. Even after I left Wilton I had several students study privately with me at my home. IF I were you and in this situation, I would A) Call Wilton and complain LOUDLY. Tell them this is a bad reflection on their company (which it is!) and B) Call the store and complain LOUDLY -- this is a bad reflection on them too! This instructor obviously needs a reality check in professionalism!!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:52am
post #14 of 23

I took Wilton Courses I & II the ending of 2005. My instructor was not quite as bad, but she took an immediate disliking to me because I am a bit shy around people I don't know. She was really rude to me and made me very nervous. I wanted to take Course III, but didn't because of her. I'm thinking about just starting over at a different store where I heard they just hired a new WMI. I have stuck with cake decorating and love it very much. Hang in there and don't let her get you down. I'd report her to the manager.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:01am
post #15 of 23

This happened to me too...at Hobby Lobby. I actually was just taking class II for a refresher class..but I could have taught it! All she did is talk about herself and her family. She brought her 3 yr old to the last class. I wrote on the forum of wilton and they read it and contacted me about what I wrote. I explained to them what happened and they offered to let me take another class with a different instructor which I declined, then I was offered $20 worth of wilton products and they sent it to me ASAP..never got an order so fast!!!
The first time I got classes at Hobby L.I had a great instructor but she is now in another town.
I took class III at MIchaels and had better luck.
IF I were you I would send an email to wilton.com

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:04am
post #16 of 23

Here's a tip...next time put a bit of icing in her seat so she'll stick to it!!

pieface, that was too funny!

BenEl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BenEl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:39am
post #17 of 23

Our WMI instructor has been quite helpful. That's good, 'cause I am fairly new to this. (Class Level 1) I am having fun at this. But the dear wife says I need to slow down on making cakes soon. Think I will take my last class cake to worship this w/e for our get together after services. icon_biggrin.gif We made the clown's. Turned out well if I do say so myself. Took a picture of it. May try to upload it later. icon_surprised.gif

Gordon

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #18 of 23

Unfortunetly, Wilton did nothing for me when I called them. They even acted like, 'oh well'. I talked to 2 different people and both did nothing. Just told me to call the store. I thought they would care that this woman was not representing their company positively. Maybe you'll have better luck if you decide to contact Wilton.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 23

Even though you've looked forward to this class, I'd cancel, take it up with Wilton/store and go somewhere else. I took Wilton I & 2 from the same teacher and found that even though she stayed in class and was fine, I felt she was not about how I was doing in class. She was more interested in another couple that was opening a cookie business. For Wilton 3 I took it somewhere else and with a different teacher, and loved the class! I'm glad I switched! Michael's stores seemed to be very accomidating to me and my concerns.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:33pm
post #20 of 23

I have the email address of the lady that helped me...if you want it send me a private message and I will send it to you.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:50pm
post #21 of 23

I as a WMI would never treat my students like that. The whole idea is to have fun but you are also there to learn. As WMI we are not to leave the class room until class is over. I have my certificates signed before class so I don't have to step out.

After introducing myself I then tell my students that in my class you are allowed to laugh at the teacher. It is a real ice breaker.

I had a group of women to take all three of the courses and in that class 3 out of 5 spoke very little english, they understood what I showed them and made beautiful cakes. We had a great time and I believe it was one of the best groups I have taught.

jcakes17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes17 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:55pm
post #22 of 23

This is not good. I teach and sometimes i have to leave for a min. to take a call but never have i just left and walked around the store talking to other employees. I would talk to the manager, and if that doesnt work find out their wilton supervisor and let them know.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:14pm
post #23 of 23

I am so sorry to all of you who have had negative experiences with instructors. I'm a WMI and I do everything I can to help my students. We are there to teach you, encourage you and help you do the best you can. I'm shocked that you've had instructors who yell at you or leave the classroom for extended periods. That is unacceptable. I can't imagine ever yelling at a student! Unfortunately, there are some instructors out there who really should not be teaching and I have run across a few myself. They should be teaching you all the techniques - thats what we're paid for.

The best thing you can do is NOT take classes with them, complain in person and writing to the store manager and headquarters requesting your class fee back and cc: Wilton with the instructors name. Otherwise they just get away with it and the next poor unsuspecting soul gets them.
After that, just walk away and go to another store and make sure you tell everyone you know. Don't give up though, theres lots of great instructors out there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%