Any Walmart Cake Decoraters Out There???

Decorating By zatsdeb Updated 22 Nov 2015 , 8:41pm by texasstar

zatsdeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zatsdeb Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if there are any Walmart Cake Decorators out there? I have been one for quite some time and I love it!!! Having acess to the colors premade, and the materials to make new colors without mixing icing, it is pretty cool! I also have had good bosses who appriciate my skills and let me be as creative as I want to be!! (I just have to still be fast...lots of coffee helps!!!!)
just thought I'd try to find fellow Walmart Decorators!
Debbie

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 11

I am a former wal-mart cake decorator. I did a career change about 2.5 years ago, but miss my fellow cake decorators. All but one I worked with has moved to another store or another career but we still try to keep in touch. I learned SOOO much from them.

edited for some typos

rustyk10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rustyk10 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 11

Wht is a Walmart decorater??

zatsdeb Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 11

I forget sometimes, before I worked at walmart I didn't know they made special order cakes and wedding cakes. In the supercenters walmart has bakery people who bake, make donuts, fill the sales floor and package bakery items we make fresh. The other bakery people are cake decorators who do mostly decorate cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and wedding cakes, along with other assorted duties.
We ice the cakes which are premade, and quickfrozen... they are very good tasting cakes. It saves alot of time, and we just ice them, and decorate them, I have worked with many talented decorators, most of us do stuff at home on the side, mostly for our families.
It is a good place for me to be because I really enjoy my work, and I get a chance to do more in one day than I could in a week if I had to bake the cakes, cookies, etc, and make my own icing.
I thought if I could find some fellow walmart decorators we could swap ideas, and whatnot!!!

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 11

Debbie....Are the cakes in your gallery the ones you made at Walmart? They are very good!

If you don't mind me asking, what experience did you have when you started cake decorating at Walmart? How many cakes per day were you expected to decorate? Did you work full time or part time?

Sorry for all the questions, but after I complete the Wilton courses, I want to have an idea of places that would be good to apply for a job. As of now, I would only be able to work part time since my kids are still in elem. school. So, not sure if that is going to limit my options.

Lisa

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 11

Hiya guys,
I was a dept lead for my bakery at our wallymart. I had lots of fun but decided to move closer to home and then there's the ol tax man you have to make happy, hubby is in the oil field so had to take a cut in pay or pay up... I learned a lot from my first manager whose motto was always the customer first. The part that I loved about working there was the freedom I had to do anything I could with buttercream or whipped. My fav part was the airbrushing. Course you could prolly tell that from my pics though lol.

zatsdeb Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 11

I am a freelance cartoonist and have baked since I was 7 years old with my mom and grandma. I have always been in the kitchen, if I wasn't drawing.
I started making cakes at home for my kids, and just decorating them with whatever I had. food coloring and powdered sugar!! I always decorated cookies for christmas with toothpicks and colored icing until I learned they made decorating bags!!
I worked at a convience store where we made chocolate chip pizza cookies, pressing the dough thawed out in a pizza pan lined with parchment. I then decorated them making scenes and whatnot on them.
I started out a walmart as a donut maker, and after a few months the head decorator transfered and left an opening, I went out a few times prior to that to draw stuff on the cakes for the decorators, who were very nice to me.
I was offered the job and went out and practiced and watched, and learned. I bought the wilton books and just practiced at home with my roses.
I just was a natural at it, and have been there ever since.
I have decorated for walmart about 4 years now, and I have learned to be fast and creative. we have our days where we have to be very fast, all walmart asks is that you can decorate a cake, (icing, boarders and a rose) in 15 minutes start to finish.
I can do a simple cake in 5 minutes, so I try to get my basic cakes done first and then I can have time to play.
the cupcake critters are what they called puppy luv, and I just make other things now, as do alot of the other decorators in different stores, I figured out that when they changed the name of the tag from puppy luv to cupcake critters.
you are ecpected to be up front for the customers, we feel we are the representive of the bakery since they pretty much see us first. I am naturely a friendly outgoing person so I love it. we give cookies to little kids too, its great.
we just have to make sure our cases are full and look nice. I take pride in my cake display case, and we encourage everyone to be able to make a wedding cake.
It is easier to make a wedding cake at walmart than at home. I do both.there is only 1 flavor, white.
I hope if you get a job at walmart you get a good store, it makes a difference, just show them what you got, take pictures with you of your cakes, and do your best. I really enjoy the look on peoples faces when they are happy with their cakes.
you will have some who complain, but most of the time they know they are going to complain before they even pick up their cake, cause they know walmart will be nice and give them a cake for free if they make a big enough fuss.
good luck!!!
Deb

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 11

AMEN to that deb, sheesh. Boy , I could tell stories..............!!!

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 11

I saw a guy the other day slamming his fists down on the glass display case because he had supposedly ordered a 1/2 sheet cake and didn't get the correct order. He was so mad. I was surprised the girl who was helping him could maintain her composure. The wife didn't seem half as upset about it.

Lisa

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 11

A similiar thread you might be interested in:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-111411-.html

HTH

texasstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasstar Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 11

I work for walmart as a cake decorator and was wondering what other decorators hours are?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%