Help...candy Melts Sticking To Mold!

Decorating By yellowjacket Updated 25 Apr 2016 , 8:09pm by M1k3G

yellowjacket Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making some small shells to decorate a cake, and I'm using white Wilton Candy melts and a mold. When I turn the shells out after they're dry, some of it sticks in the mold...just a thin layer of "chocolate". It's not a very intricate mold or anything, and I'm not sure why this is happenning. I actually made a second batch and it happenned again.

I've only used candy melts a few times, never white, but I've never had this problem. Any idea what I can so that it doesn't happen?


6 replies
craftbarn Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 7

You may want to rewash your molds and make sure each shell is completely dry first.

Also, leave them in the fridge a little longer. It sounds like all the chocolate isn't set yet.

I had a problem a few times and I found that if I left it in the fridge a little longer they all popped out first time.

Good Luck


mthiberge Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

I agree completely.

Make sure that he molds are clean, clean, clean and dry. and leave them in the fridge a little longer. Also make sure the bowl your melting the chocolate in is ultra clean as well. cheers

yellowjacket Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 7

I'll try leaving them in the fridge longer to set...I was probably impatient and took them out too soon. (Can you leave them in the fridge too long?)


mthiberge Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7

No, pretty sure you can't leave them in too long

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 7

I don't think you can leave them in the fridge too long, either.

If you've washed them and gotten them very, very dry, I'd suggest polishing them with a bit of crisco on a cotton ball, soft clean rag, tissue, or paper towel. That little bit of extra oil will keep things coming out easily. It will also eliminate any residue from washing, including water spots, etc.


M1k3G Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

Cleaning and drying the molds never made a difference for me. However, what did work was the following. After melting the chocolate, leave it for about 40 minutes to cool in the bain marie with the heat turned off. Once cooled, put it in the mold and leave it in the fridge. Once solid, you can now move it to the freezer if necessary. A simple tap should get it out easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%