Which Type Of Cake Stand Construction?

Decorating By cindycakes2 Updated 24 Mar 2005 , 12:25am by ihavasweet2th

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

I need to construct 2 wedding cakes, each 5 tiers, 16,14,12,10,8 in.
I will be placing flowers between the tiers, maybe 2-3" between tiers. The brides do not want any columns to show. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which "cake stand" method to use? I thought about using the Wilton Tall Tier Cake Stand, or the acrylic push in columns for each layer. I am wanting to be sure which ever system I use, it is strong.
Thanks for any help!

4 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:11am
post #2 of 5

Hi, well I was looking in the gallery..In the traditional gallery there is a cake made of 6 tiers and has no columns showing..They have flowers between each layer..Here is the name of the person AGSkelton..Go check it out and maybe you can PM that name and they can give more details..good luck

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 5

I'd say the easiest and most stress-free would likely to be the Tall Tier Stand.

As for the flowers... fresh, frosting, or fake? Depending on what they are, you could wire & tape them into a garland to wind somewhat loosely around the center post.

I've also seen a cake that looked like it had a bunch of stems as the center pillar... you could get some flowers, trim the stems to match the length of the exposed pillar, hot-glue them on, then tie a ribbon bow around the bundle... do this for each pillar, and then at the very top add a small bunch of flowers. I can't for the life of me find the picture now; has anyone else seen this? IT was a very simple and elegant white cake with calla lilies.

Illy

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 5

I've read where people said that the tall tier stand was not real sturdy. I think I would opt for the Hidden Pillars. They are trimmable pillars that fit into the regular separator plates!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

I would use the Wilton hidden pillars. They work great for the effect I think you are trying to achieve. There is a cake on page 33 of Wilton Wedding Cakes A Romantic Portfolio using the hidden pillars.

Hope this helps!!

~Luraleigh~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%