Sort Of A Sugar Question....

Sugar Work By KarenOR Updated 19 Nov 2005 , 10:06pm by BalloonWhisk

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

How hard is it to make caramel? Every year we do caramel/chocolate/nut covered apples as gifts and usually order 5 pound blocks to caramel to do so. I was THINKING about trying to make it, but in the process may make myself crazy. Any tips or suggestions?
OR any good sites that sell bulk caramel?
Thanks!

6 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 7

I have made it once, it tasted great but didnt turn out like I wanted it to.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 7

I stay away from stuff like this. I think you need to do it just right or the consistency will not be right. I am bumping you up in case anyone else might know. Sorry. icon_smile.gif

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 7

It is a sugar question by the way. I will post a recipe for you later tommorrow. How soon do you need it?

copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 7

No answer SC.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry, I've never made caramel.

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 7

Whoo, Copperpot, aren't you such a breath of sunshine all over this folder today.

Caramel is made with sugar, cream and butter. Heat it to just over 250 degrees if you want a chewy texture or hotter if you want brittle texture. You can look up candy temperatures and textures on-line. Like any candy as it cooks stir it and wash down the sides until it boils then let it boil undisturbed. Once it reaches temperature remove it from the heat, let it cool a bit, and pour it out and add flavor. You will need a candy thermometer for this.

Any of the standard on-line recipe sources (epicurious.com, recipesource.com etc) will have several recipes with complete directions for you to choose from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%