What Is The Best Cookie Icing Recipe?

Baking By ayost43 Updated 2 Nov 2005 , 2:59pm by smileyface

ayost43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayost43 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 5

I see so many different icing recipes for royal icing and quick pour icing. I have one I like the taste of and it crusts over but it never seems to get hard. Can anyone recommend one that would get hard as well as taste good?

4 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 5

Antonia74's recipe has gotten rave review on the site. It is under the recipes tab...do a search.

I also like Toba's glace icing. It tastes good and dries solid overnight.

Berta

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 5

Antonia's recipe is the best IMHO!! I really like it and so far everyone who tastes it loves it also. It isn't too sweet, you can change the flavor by adding, vanilla, almond, ECT, and it gets hard but not as hard as when royal icing dries alone. thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5

Smileyface, tell me how much of a flavouring you add to one recipe? I've never done it and I'll like to give it a try! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm assuming you can't add an oil-based extract, so which ones do you like to use?

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

Hey Helen,

I still experimenting but I'll share what I know or think I know, LOL!! I don't think it has effected how the icing hardens but I bet you (the cookie queen, LOL) can tell for sure. I added a little less water and just added I think 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond. I just added the same flavor to the icing as the cookies. No oil for sure, I know that is a no no for royal icing. The almond and vanilla just say water, alcohol & artificial flavorings so I guess there is no oil in it. Maybe it didn't alter the flavor but just the smell, I didn't add very much. Or maybe since the cookies had the flavor it made me think the icing was changed, LOL!!

The only negative thing is that my friend said after about 4 days, the house cookie icing bleed and got soft. I am guessing that since she put the cookies and cake in the same airtight container that the royal icing absorbed some grease from the buttercream. I hope so since none of the cookies I kept bleed at all. I kept one for almost a week to test it. I hope it wasn't the flavoring but I guess it could have been.

Please let me know what you think when you try it. I don't stack my cookies and have only made 4 batches so far so I hope it doesn't effect the hardening.

TONIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%