Pumpkin Shaped Cake Question

Decorating By pooker Updated 24 Aug 2014 , 8:47am by MBalaska

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 13

I am going to try the pumpkin shaped cake made from a bundt pan. Has anyone done this? What do you do with the middle area - where the stem would be? Not sure what to do with that part, and how to incorporate a stem...

12 replies
momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 13

I have not made one but I have looked at some and I think they use an upside down ice cream cone and frost it green(the flat bottom one I believe).

Sandra

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 13

I made one a few years ago...the one where you bake two bundts and stack them with the bottoms together! The hole part just stayed empty and then you put and upside down ice cream cone (the flat bottom ones) in the hole and attach with icing so you don't even see the hole.

pooker Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks you two! After posting the question, I saw a few pictures, and thought they looked like the flat bottomed ice cream cones, so I went and bought some this morning! thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 13

..sure!

Hope you take a picture of yours...I didn't! icon_sad.gif

deeniereenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeniereenie Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 2:28am
post #6 of 13

I made one a few years ago. I baked a "stem"cake in a clean soup can. I just took the label off, washed the can well, and greased it. I filled it about 3/4 of the way full. It came out well. Wish I had a picture. icon_lol.gif

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 13

I make this cake every Halloween....bake two bundt cakes, and turn the first one upside down. Frost (or fill) the top, then place the other cake rightside up. Stick a ding dong in the upper bundt cake to fill the hole, then frost over it. Very simple, very easy!

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 13

Has anyone made a standing pumpkin with the sports ball pan? I dont have a bundt pan. Just curious if it works and if you have seen any on other sites. All the pumpkins I have seen on this site are bundt pan or the 3D wilton pumpkin pan. Thanks!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 13

I've also seen it with a cupcake for the stem, but a ice cream cone sounds easier.

Ali

pooker Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 13

Well, I've finished it...not as great as I had hoped, but my explanation in the caption tells why... icon_rolleyes.gif

momof2greatgirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2greatgirls Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 13

I did mine with Pound cake and yes and upside down Ice cream cone that I covered.  It was a little challenging but fun.  Learned a lot.

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:14am
post #12 of 13

OP, yes! it totally works. I did it this past Thanksgiving. Make two bundt cakes and put them on top of each other to make the sphere. For the middle, I actually made extra batter and made cupcakes with that. Then I used a circle cutter to cut circles of the cupcakes and stacked those in the middle. The stem can be made with fondant or gum paste or mix. The little swirly things out of the pumpkin you can do with the mix just wrap around a pencil and let it freeze to harden. Good luck!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:47am
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizKatherine 

".....The little swirly things out of the pumpkin you can do with the mix just wrap around a pencil and let it freeze to harden. ..."

drinking straws work well also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%