Starting New Home Based Business And Need Advice!

Business By jandsg2003 Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 12:30am by jandsg2003

jandsg2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jandsg2003 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 3

First, I wanted to say hello and that I love this forum! Not sure if I am posting this in the right section, if not, I do apologize. I am trying to start up my own home based business in Michigan. I have went back and forth about what to bake ( I love to dabble in all different goodies), but have decided to do cake pops. I have done research around the area I live and no one offers cake pops, thought I would give it a go! I am wondering about a couple of things..How do you package them for orders, I would like to sell them by the dozen, but unsure how to package them. I have sticks, bags, ribbon and cupcake liners, but that's as far as I have gotten.... Also how many cake pop flavors do you usually offer? I would like to do a variety, but don't want to go over board. I have made them several times before and have the making of them pretty much down. Just need a way to package them that will not cost a lot, but will still look nice. Thanks for all your help and happy baking!!!!

2 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 3

Are they on a stick? you could just pop a bag over and tie it with a twist tie. If they aren't on a stick maybe you could put three in a bag and twist tie them? This is time consuming, but if you don't have a plastic sealer than I can't think of other options that will look professional. Also make sure you are legal with your new business as far as selling food goes. 

jandsg2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jandsg2003 Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:30am
post #3 of 3

Where I live in Michigan, I don't have to be licensed.  I do have rules set by the state that I have to follow, like labeling and such. I was planning on offering both stick/no stick option. I looked at boxes for cake pops, but they are not cheap. Thanks for the suggestions with the bags!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%