Friday Night Cake Club For 10-24-14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 29 Oct 2014 , 7:30pm by MBalaska

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 10:14am
post #31 of 37

No, when you are scraping/smoothing the sides, place your scraper on the paper-covered board and work round your cake, keeping your scraper hard against the board and upright.  Some people place what will be the base board on the now top of the cake to make sure that they are keeping the ganache round and of even thickness.  Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

I can't find the Youtube video that I first saw the technique, but there are plenty up there.  It's hard to explain because of the changes to relative descriptions - top becomes bottom, bottom becomes top, until it sets and you turn it the right way up.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mazcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mazcooke Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 10:43am
post #33 of 37

Thank you for those links! I am looking forward to trying this technique. 

LizzieAylett Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:06pm
post #34 of 37

Khrys,  have you tried making chevrons out of modelling chocolate?  Cut them, then leave them to sit for a bit and harden up - then they won't stretch and distort when you put them on the cake.  There's also Jessica Harris' wax paper transfer method which a lot of people love.  She has a craftsy class about it:

http://www.craftsy.com/class/clean-and-simple-cake-design/209?_ct=iuqhsx-kdyluhiqb-huikbj-sekhiu&_ctp=209

krys121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krys121 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:35pm
post #35 of 37

Lizzie - I hadn't even thought about using modeling chocolate! (As I mentioned, I'm relatively new at this and still am learning techniques) Thanks so much for the idea! :)

LizzieAylett Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:03pm
post #36 of 37

You're welcome!  Let us know how you get on.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 7:30pm
post #37 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by krys121 

I'm really just starting out so I don't do too many cakes yet. This week's:

Baby boy fondant elephant cake

@krys121 You will find a way to make those difficult ziggy zags perfect, however this cake is very sweet!  the little guy on top is adorable and your colors are pretty.  I'd love to have the eye for putting colors together like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Ha, I used the upside down technique on my wedding cake on the weekend and when I upped my cake the right way the ganache stuck to the mat and ripped a hole out of the top of my mud cake as it was so moist.  I patched it up with more ganache so no-one was any the wiser but I have not had this happen before.  Mind you, this is only the third time I have done it upside down.

@cazza1  Whew! that must have knocked your socks off for a moment or two.  Very happy to hear that you fixed it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%