Big Fondant Accents On Buttercream? Help!

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 16 Oct 2014 , 3:28am by mattyeatscakes

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 16

AI have someone who wants this cake done. She said I don't have to cover cakes in fondant, she prefers buttercream instead. I have put on fondant accents on a buttercream covered cake before, but these look pretty large. I am scared they won't stick or will slide down. The purple guys' glasses and the claws on the 2nd tier specifically. Do I attach them to a skewer and poke into the cake (will it support this many decorations all the way around)? Or suggest she makes it all covered in fondant so everything sticks together?

Any suggestions? TIA! [ATTACHMENT=1966]photo.PNG (53k. PNG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

15 replies
Newfoundlandgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newfoundlandgirl Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 16

AWhen I did one minion cake in buttercream I made the silver on the outside of the goggles wide enough so that I could use toothpicks in them to hold it to the cake.Another i made the white of the eye solid and used a skewer in that part . To get the fondant to stick I either steam the buttercream first or brush vanilla extract on the back of the fondant pieces. I have to say I was less nervous about that with the one I did in fondant.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 16

AIf you use gumpaste for the accents, goggles, etc. and let them dry a few days they should be pretty lightweight. At least that's how it ends up with the gumpaste I use.

mama5kiddos Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 1:15am
post #4 of 16

ABump

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 3:27am
post #5 of 16

ABump what? How about a thanks to the two people that replied to you first?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 5:54am
post #6 of 16

ALove that sharp tongue of yours, AZ!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 16

AJust seems a wee bit rude to me!

winniemog Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 16

AAbsolutely, it didn't make any sense to me either.

mama5kiddos Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 16

AHow is this being rude? I had said thanks in advance. Just wanted to get a couple more opinions. Plus I was asking about using fondant, not gumpaste.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 16

AIf you can't figure it out I doubt anyone can explain it to you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama5kiddos 

I have someone who wants this cake done. She said I don't have to cover cakes in fondant, she prefers buttercream instead. I have put on fondant accents on a buttercream covered cake before, but these look pretty large. I am scared they won't stick or will slide down. The purple guys' glasses and the claws on the 2nd tier specifically. Do I attach them to a skewer and poke into the cake (will it support this many decorations all the way around)? Or suggest she makes it all covered in fondant so everything sticks together?

Any suggestions?
TIA! 

TIA!  = thanks in advance from post #1 

Cevamal Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 1:45am
post #12 of 16

(Not sure if that's to me...if it is, I understood that she felt throwing a "TIA!" onto the end of her OP was sufficient. I meant that if she couldn't figure out what was wrong with bumping her thread then she was probably beyond hope.)

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 4:19am
post #13 of 16

AI also agree with the other posters. A little thank you to the posters who gave you advices would be nice. And then add to your reply that you're still open for other ideas.. I mean, you already found the time to reply/type "bump", what's an additional "thanks guys" gonna cost? :) we're all friends here :)

Cevamal Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 16

AI was thinking more about this thread.

I'm a total newbie to all of this, everything I know I've gleaned from lurking here for a few weeks.

Can you do something like this with fondant? I thought it would have to be gumpaste.

Would fondant goggles hold their shape?

winniemog Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 16

AI did a minion cake in August, used fondant for goggles, no worries. All held up fine. If my fondant's really soft, I might add a little CMC or tylose, but it's not normally a problem. I do work on fondant-covered cakes though, I prefer the finish compared with buttercream.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 3:28am
post #16 of 16

AIf you're using fondant then make the goggles ahead of time. Like atleast 3 days.. It will not dry rock hard like gumpaste, but it should keep it's shape and would be easier to handle. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%