How Would You Make This Design On The Side Of A Cake?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 5:15am by mcaulir

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 7

So, I know I can use a ruler and mark this design out with a toothpick and then just pipe the dots on.  With my unsteady hands that will take me forever!  Does anyone have any ideas that would be faster?  I'm doing this cake in buttercream, not fondant.

Thank you!
C~

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 7

Is there a picture or a link?

mrsmac888 Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7

Ahttp://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3054537/round-wedding-cakes/

Oops A pic of the cake would be a good idea!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 7

If you have some adding machine paper, I would wrap it around the cake and cut it to size.  Then just keep folding it in half until you get the size of the swag you want.  Then you cut the top of the paper to make a swag.  Then you unfold it and wrap it around the cake and you will have a template to follow to either make tiny holes to pipe over or just start piping with the template on the cake (for me, I would make tiny holes, remove the template and then pipe over the holes).  Hope this makes sense.  

mrsmac888 Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 7

kkmcmahan

Perfect!  Thank you!

C~

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 7

AWhen making your template remember that pi is equally divisible by all diameters. So you can make I template to use all tiers no matter the size and the swags will line up around the cake perfectly.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 5:15am
post #7 of 7

AI have one of these which is really handy for doing that design.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2C61B096-1E0B-C910-EAE02E9BA668ADD2&killnav=1

I cut a circle of baking paper the Sie of the largest tier. Then fold the circle into sectors- however many divisions you need. Then I put the circle on top of the cake, and use the marker to go around the cake, pushing a small indent into the icing where the lines on the paper indicate they should go.

The paper can then be cut smaller for the smaller tiers and you have the swags will line up exactly. The marker ensures your swags are all at the same height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%