Nc State Fair Winner--Layer Cakes
This was much cuter when I dropped it off, I swear! Oh well. Really I just wanted to show off my first ribbon :-) This was my first competition.
My first cake for Wilton I. I liked the pastels--and I was too lazy to try to get deeper hues.
My Wilton Course I Finale Cake. I used the White Almond Sour Cream Cake recipe and filled the layers with chocolate ganache (with a little almond extract.) Tried my hand at chocolate buttercream--it was kinda crunchy, but I couldn't tell if it was crunchier than vanilla. I took the cake to work the next day and won second place in our holiday cookoff. I have trouble determining proper icing consistency, so my "roses" always look like peonies.
My Wilton Course I Finale Cake, side view. I was going to do pink and peach decorations, but decided at the last minute to just stick with the peach. I like it. After 3 hours of trying to get the icing smooth, I broke down and used th Melvira method. It worked great, but the icing ripped on the way to class. We patched it with a heated spatula.
I made this for myself for Christmas. The cake is an egggnog cake with an eggnog pastry filling and bourbon-caramel cream cheese icing. The original recipe was for filled cupcakes at The Cupcake Blog. I decided at the last minute to practice my drop flowers, but I couldn't get the tip to stay in place, so they are floppy.
Eggnog cake, side view. This icing is pretty soft, so it took several fridge visits to get it somewhat smooth. I like the shine though.
My Wilton Course II Finale Cake. It was quite pretty for the 15 minutes that it existed. The top half slid off on the way to the car, so there was no saving it (not without a lot more work!) The cake is champagne cake (from this site) and I filled it with pastry cream that I added raspberry-peach champagne jam to. The jam made the cream too liquid, I think.
My Wilton Course II Finale Cake, Top view. I HATED the original design--it's way too busy for my tastes. So I compensated by only doing four types of flowers, all in varying shades of pink, using only one bird, and making it brown instead of blue. I was surprised--I really made it up as I went along and I actually liked the result. I decided to forgo leaves so as not to disturb the color scheme any more.