Puerto Rican Style Custard
- 1 cup of sugar
8-ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
12-ounce can of evaporated milk
14-ounce can of condensed milk
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- a 9″x3 1/2″ round mold
- You will also need a larger baking pan for the “bain marie”
- Melt 1 cup of sugar in the bottom of the baking pan until a golden caramel forms. Swirl around to spread the caramel evenly.
- Combine the condensed and evaporated milk, cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Place the larger pan in the center rack of the preheated oven. Place the baking pan with the caramel in the center of the larger pan and add a couple cups of hot water to the larger pan. Pour the cheese mixture into the prepared baking pan and cook at 350 degrees F. for about an hour or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After removing it from the oven, allow to coolcompletely.. then place the flan in the refrigerator until cold.. Once cld, unmold onto a large, cold platter.