Note: This is my own personal recipe that I developed. Please credit me if sharing with others. Thanks, Promise Whitley
- 3 tablespoons Wilton meringue powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, just at room temp (50-60 deg Fahrenheit is ideal)
- 1 stick (1 cup) of Crisco
- 1 teaspoon extract/flavoring: vanilla, lemon, orange, almond, mint, or crème bouquet
- Wipe a large mixing bowl and beaters with a paper towel dampened with white vinegar, let air dry.
- Once dried, in this mixing bowl and using these beaters, whip 3 tablespoons of Wilton meringue powder and 1/2 cup of cold water to stiff peaks.
- While you are whipping this up, in a saucepan over medium, heat 2 cups granulated sugar, ¼ cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup warm water to 250 deg F then immediately transfer to a heatproof measuring cup and cool to 240 deg F.
- Slowly add the syrup to the whipped meringue. To insure that the syrup does not crystallize from hitting the beaters, pour in a little at a time (about ¼ cup) and whip it in completely before adding more, but this all has to be added in before the syrup cools too much and starts to harden.
- Once the syrup is all added, beat on high for 3 minutes until the meringue is very stiff and shiny.
- Then place the bowl of meringue in an ice water bath and continue to beat on high for another 3 minutes.
- Beat in the stick of Crisco until it is completely incorporated.
- Then beat in 1 stick of butter at a time, completely incorporating each stick before adding the next one.
- Add 1 teaspoons of extract or flavoring of you choice (vanilla extract, lemon extract, orange extract, almond extract, mint extract, or crème bouquet) and then whip on high for 3-7 more minutes (approx) until the fats and liquids are completely emulsified.
- May be stored in on counter for up to 3 days as long as temp in house is 70 deg F or less or store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Allow to come to room temp and then rewhip on high for 3 to 5 minutes before using. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge and then follow refrigerated directions.
can u make this recipe without adding the crisco