Grease two 10 x 3″ round pans. Preheat the oven to 350. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
WBH White Butter Cake
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat at high speed until light and fluffy:
- 6 oz (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
On a piece of wax paper, sift together:
- 3 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternately with:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a separate bowl beat until foamy:
- 3/4 cup egg whites (6 to 8 large egg whites)
Continue beating at high speed while gradually adding:
- 1/2 cup sugar
When stiff peaks form, fold the whites into the cake batter with a rubber spatula. Blend just until the whites are evenly distributed.
Pour 3 1/2 cups of the batter into one prepared pan and the reamining batter into the other. Bake the less full pan for 20-25 minutes and the fuller pan for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes before turning them out our their pans.