This recipe belongs to a very dear friend who was kind enough to share it with me. When her husband was stationed in Lafayette we would get together and bake these cookies at Christmas. It always brings back memories when I make them. I now use this recipe to make “cookie bouquets.” When using for a cookie bouquet roll the cookie a little thicker and press lollipop stick into cookie after you have placed on cookie sheet.
Cut Out Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat egg and egg yolk and add to flour mixture.
- Mix with hands to make a smooth dough.
- Turn dough on lightly floured board and knead several times and form into ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Take half of dough and roll on lightly floured suface to 1/8″ thick.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown around edges.
- Frost with favorite icing.