This was a family favorite when I was growing up. You can use different flavors of Jell-O and make these in any shape you like depending on the holliday or occation.
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 ½ cups packaged shredded coconut
- 1 (6oz) package of raspberry or strawberry Jell-O
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- Green food coloring
- 4 oz slivered almonds
- ½ cup red-colored sugar
- ½ cup green-colored sugar
- In a large bowl, mix nuts, coconut, and Jell-O powder. Add condensed milk and vanilla. Work with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Pour water and green food coloring into a small bowl. Add almonds and mix until almonds are a deep green color. Lift almonds out of bowl onto paper towels to dry.
- Shape chilled Jell-O mixture into strawberry shapes, using about 1 teaspoon for each strawberry. Roll in red sugar and dip tops in green sugar. Place an almond in the top for the stem of the strawberry.