I found this recipe in one of my recipe books. Icing come out very smooth. Works great!
Royal icing for decorated cookies II
- 2 tbsp meringue powder
- 2 1/4 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1. Mix meringue powder with 2/3 cup water and pass though strainer to remove any lumps.
- 2. Place the sugar in a clean bowl of an electric mixer, add about three-quarters of the meringue mixture and the lemon juice, mix on low speed.
- 3. When the sugar and the meringue powder are well combined, check consisitency. If the sides look dry and crumbly, add some more meringue mixture until the icing is smooth, but not wet.
- 4. Keep mixing for about 4-5 minutes, until it reaches stiff-peak consistency.
- 5. Add any flavour of your choice. Mix in the flavour thoroughly.
- 6. Add a little bit of water at a time to get the consisitency you desire.
- STIFF CONSISTENCY – for piping flowers and leaves
- SOFT-PEAK CONSISTENCY – piping lines, dots and borders
- RUNNY CONSISTENCY – filling in the middle of spaces (great for decorated cookies)