This is an adaptation of a Southern Living cake contest winner. I tweeked it to my liking. I hope you will like it too!!
Coconut-Pineapple Cake w/White Choc Cream Cheese Icing
1-20 oz can of Crushed Pineapple in its own juice, undrained, divided use
- 1 1/2 cups of butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup 7-Up soda
- 1/4 cup Coffeemate Coconut Creme liquid creamer
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz shredded coconut (for coating sides of cake)
2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 cups white chocolate chips
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tblsp butter, softened
- 2-3 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 lb sifted powdered sugar, may need to add a little extra
- to get the consistancy you want.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease bottoms of 2 9 inch cake pans. Line pans with parchment and grease and flour pans.
- Drain pineapple, reserve the juice for cake and icing. Reserve pineapple for the filling.
- Beat butter at medium speed with a mixer until creamy: gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Combine 3/4 cup
- pineapple juice, 7-up soda and creamer.
- Add flour to butter mixture alternately with juice mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.Stir in the vanilla. Divide batter between the 2 pans and bake until toothpicks come out clean, approx 45 mins. Remove to cooling racks.
- Meanwhile make the pineapple filling. Stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the pineapple and water. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until very thick, about 15-20 mins. Allow to cool.
- For icing: Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl on half power in the microwave. Beat the butter and cream cheese till well blended and creamy. Add the chocolate and pineapple juice, beat on low till well incorporated. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until icing is the consistancy you want.
- When cake is cool, torte each cake layer. You will have 4 layers. Put a dam of icing around the edge of the layer and fill with thin layer of pineapple filling. Repeat with each layer.
- Ice the sides of the cake and put a layer of pineapple filling to within an inch of the edge of the cake. Press coconut into icing on sides of the cake. Make rosettes around the top of the cake between the filling and the edge of the cake.