I had dried appricots and wanted to make a cake with them but could not find a recipe that would make it as flavorful and most as I wanted.And living in a small town with no grocery store I had to use what was on hand, so it is fairly easy but tastes great. So I made thie up one day and it’s a keeper.
Apricot extreme cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- one3.9 oz box of instant french vanilla pudding
- 1 tsp.. cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegtable oil
- 1 12 to 18 oz. jar of apricot preserves
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped pecans,,,optional
- Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees. oil and lightly flour a bundt cake ( I use a 12 cup one)
- In large bowl pour dry cake mix, pudding, cinnamon,eggs, vegtable oil and apricot preserves. Add water and blend on medium with mixer unril it is well combined.
- Add the 1 cup of chopped almonds ( and the pecans if you are using them) and mix again till well blended. The mix will become thick because of the pudding mix and no added extra liquids. This is what you want. It makes it like a semi- pound cake when done but rich and moist.
- Pour cake mixture in the bundt pan but do not pour more than 2/3 full or it will over flow when cooking. If any cake mix is left over I oil and flour a small cake pan and pour it into that and bake it with the bundt pan, remembering that the cake pan cooks faster than the bundt pan will.
- Place in oven and set timmer for 55 min. to 65 min.
- Cake is done when a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- If you want to ice it, it’s up to you but the cake is good all by itself