A two-layer, glazed, chocolate schnapps cake.
Chocolate Butterschnapps Cake
- 3 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
1 Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter or margarine in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
2 In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Gradually add sugar, and beat until fluffy. Add cooled chocolate mixture slowly; mix well. Stir in 1/4 cup schnapps, almond extract, and vanilla. Briefly stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. Mix only to combine. Stir in chips with spatula. Divide batter into two greased and floured, 8 inch, round cake pans.
3 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans.
4 Meanwhile, bring the cream to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, and stir in 12 ounces chocolate chips. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Remove lid, and stir in amaretto.
5 Remove layers from pans. Brush with remaining schnapps. Place one layer on a serving plate. Pour 1/3 of the glaze over the layer, and then place the second layer over the first. Pour remaining glaze over the whole cake. Decorate with slivered almonds.