Let your inner artist shine. Cupcakes are a fun way to experiment with piping frosting and trying out new decorating ideas. If you mess up, just eat it!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1. Line twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice (batter may appear slightly curdled). Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in a 350° oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes; remove from pans and cool thoroughly on wire racks.