*update* $2/serving Too Much?!? *&%@#$!!!!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 5 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm by candy177

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 68

I will try to summarize the previous thread: A woman who knew someone who had seen one of my baby shower cakes called and said she wanted a three-tiered cake for 35-40 people. White cake, strawberry filling, cream cheese icing. She sent me some pictures of ugly cakes that she liked (I am attaching all the pictures below). I told her $2/serving. She said it was more than she wanted to spend. I told her for that many people she only needed 2-tiers.

I sent a sketch to her based on the picture and colors she sent me (green and yellow with orange bow) and quoted her $70. She wanted it to look more "baby-ish". She sent me a copy of the fabric for the room (to which I said to my self "MY GOD HOW DO I MAKE A CAKE OUT OF THIS?"). I did ANOTHER sketch with more details and more work involved but not charging more. I thought I had really nailed the essence of what she wanted. Offset square tiers with ABC blocks, fondant animals in the corners and fondant baby booties on top!

I wait *5 days* to hear back from her. Today I received from her a POWER POINT PRESENTATION on what she wants for the cake! This is what she wants for $70!!!

I am speechless and actually furious. I am never going to able to make this woman happy, especially not for the amount of money she wants to spend. The baby shower in question is the day after I have a wedding cake, and I really don't like to do two big cakes two days in a row, so it wasn't going to bother me if she didn't follow through.

I want to just say, "sorry, I can't help you". What would you all say to her? And am I overreacting?
LL
LL
LL

67 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 68

Well, what does she want for $70.00? For what I am looking at, you were offering her a bargain. I say stick to your guns and give her Charm City Cakes' phone number..... she wants Duff at Sam's prices!

kelleym Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 68

Plus, according to Earlene's chart, a 6, 9, 12 square cake serves *99*. God. I am so mad.

Debsuewoo...you nailed it. She needs Duff. Maybe I will tell her that cake is beyond my capabilities and refer her to one of the high-dollar bakeries in the area. How does that sound? Then they can tell her $300 and that will be lovely. I only wish I could see the look on her face.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 68

Tell her the cake idea she sent you was great but quite a bit out of HER league....budget wise. icon_lol.gif Don't you dare tell her YOU can't do the work she asked.... tell her that $70 is not enough to accomodate the size and details she is requesting and tell her that since she is on such a tight budget, she should go to Sam's Club or Wal-Mart... icon_twisted.gif

I would also tell her that if she thinks you are being unreasonable, she should try calling local bakeries to find out how much they would charge for such a cake.

Don't be afraid to stand up to her - she is certainly not too shy or intimidated to send you a friggin' Powerpoint presentation for a cake...she shounds like a snob and thinks she is doing you a favor by letting you make her a cake!

In short, she is being a tool. icon_razz.gif

kelleym Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 68

Oh my word. It just gets worse. I read down further in that email, it's a series of conversations between the hostesses for the shower. One person says "that cake needs some work. I don't like that last picture" (regarding my ABC block-animal-bootie cake), and further down they are talking about the INVITATIONS and say their budget is $200 for invitations!!

I'm going to tell her I can't help her. Period.

kelleym Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 68

Here's what I sent her:

Quote:
Quote:

Lori,
I don't think I'll be able to help you with this cake. I recommend Lucy's Cakes or the All in One Bake Shop.

www.lucyscakes.com
www.allinonebakeshop.com

Thanks for your time,
Kelley

Hopefully it's over.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 68

I think you are doing the right thing....if they are ok to spend 200 on invites then they are trying to save on the cake by pressuring you.....tell them to find someone else and say good riddance!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 68

Sometimes it is just better to say no - if you feel like you need to give her an excuse just tell her that someone booked that date and paid in full. good luck!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 68

I think you did the right thing. Sounds like she was a disaster in the making.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 68

You did the right thing but never say you can not do the cake unless you are abosulte sure. She want a freebie cake, let her go to the other bakiers and found out that you can you a deal. $70 is too low for what she want, hey if you want the "WOW" effect then pay the price or go say hello to local grocery store.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 68

You absolutely did the right thing!!! Let's see what the bakeries you suggested charges them for the type of cake they wanted! They were just trying to take advantage of you - good for you that you stuck to your guns and yet were completely professional about it! How much does anyone want to bet that she comes back!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 68

First of all...if your cake chart says the sizes she wants feeds 99 then you charge her for 99! That's $2 per serving x 99 servings. If she wants the cake to be those specific sizes then she is feeding 99 people and has to pay accordingly. Regarding the powerpoint presentation....(and this is what I tell my "problem customers")...

" I will be happy to incorporate your design into the cake, however, there is a $100 charge for doing so. I will also have to add in the costs of additional materials as I see fit to make the design as you require. "

They run. I don't have to worry about them and they find someone else. I had a lady bring me a cake design on grid paper (she was an architect) to feed 60 people for her sister's 60th birthday. There was absolutely no way I could please her. She even had the measurements of the bow "9 centimeters from base of cake" down to the centimeter! icon_surprised.gif I told her what a cute design and I would be happy to do it...for $900. She thanked me and left. Thank GOD!

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 68

You def. did the right thing. She sounds like she could cause you big problems. I loved your sketch ideas. What program did you use to sketch the cakes?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 68

A power point presentation on a CAKE? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Talk about anal, I wouldn't touch an order from that lady with a 10 foot pole, she's never going to be happy.
And she's not willing to spend $2 for each person to have cake yet she's willing to drop $200 on paper that's going to get thrown away? icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

kelleym Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

I loved your sketch ideas. What program did you use to sketch the cakes?

Aw, thanks! I really thought I had come up with some cute ideas, and it was the final nail in the coffin to read "that cake needs some work". I just sketch on graph paper (1 squre = 1 inch) and scan it. If the colors need enhancing, I use Photoshop to fill them in.

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 68

Thanks. I might try that.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:12am
post #17 of 68

You did the right thing... difficult customers like that will NEVER be happy.

Quote:
Quote:

In short, she is being a tool.

THAT comment made me bark in laughter! LMAO!!!

kelleym Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 68

Well this has really, really been bothering me all week. I've never had any kind of situation like this -- everyone loves my cakes (or says they do!). Today I printed out that Power Point Presentation and took it down to one of the shops I had recommended to that woman, and asked the Pastry Chef there for a very broad quote, just to make myself feel better. Well, it turns out the woman had already emailed this picture in and asked for a quote!! Anyone wanna guess???

VINDICATION!!

For the 3-tier square with bow, they charged $2.85/serving for a grand total of $370.00. They would pipe icing animals on the sides, but they don't do fondant figurines.

They also quoted a 2-tier (6 and 9 square, like I originally offered) with the bow, but again, no fondant animals, and they weren't sure they could duplicate the fabric. $105.00.

Ha! Ha! Ha! And if you'll excuse me again...ha! This lady had sent the whole string of emails to this pastry chef, so the pastry chef saw all the rude comments about my sketch. She said she had wondered what that was all about. I felt really embarrassed and tried to explain to her that my baby shower cakes are really cute...really! She said sometimes you just have to tell people you won't be able to make them happy, which is kind of what I had done.

I want to thank everyone again for your supportive comments. This has been one of the hardest situations I've ever had to deal with in my "cake career" and like I said, it's really bothered me. You all gave me a lot of strength and hope!

lilica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilica Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:58pm
post #19 of 68

Ha! Ha! Ha! And if you'll excuse me again...ha!

I'm with you icon_lol.gif ha!

I'd love to see her face when she got those quotes thumbs_up.gif

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 68

omg! i don't think i would have done any cake for that lady for $70. i would have told her that i charge extra to deal with her rudeness.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 68

Why on earth were you only charging $70.00??? IT seems like a lot more work than that!!! And UGH what an ugly piece of fabric for a babies room - haven't they heard of Winnie the Pooh?? It looked scary to me.....

And what exactly IS a Powerpoint presentation of a cake??? Like was it a slideshow? Were there transitioning decorations being added to the cake?? LOL this sounds so funny...... Like you would start out with some cake pans - fly in some sugar from the right, flour from the left..... etc..... next slide: Cake! And then next slide: it's colored! And then next slide: a monkey flies in from the right and lands on the 2nd tier corner, a bunny hops in from the left and is at the base of the cake..... a bow flies in from the top and lands on the top of the cake..... LOL what a show! I'm sure your customer didn't go to that kind of trouble though..... this might have to be a project for me.... it just sounds like a funny presentation!

You did the right thing - heck, you can always say that you will be happy to do the cake for ______ and if they complain, tell them to call other bakeries and you will try to match their price for the SAME cake - but that you need to see THE other bakeries quote in writing -tell her to have it faxed to you.... or faxed to her and she can bring it in. Yea for you for saying no!!!!

kelleym Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:29pm
post #22 of 68

Well, it was the first cake I sketched (green with yellow polka dots/swirls and orange bow) that I quoted her $2/serving on (39 servings total). That would have totalled $78, and she said it was more than she was planning on spending. Keep in mind that originally she asked for a 3-tier cake for 35-40 people and I told her that she didn't need that much cake. So since $78 was too much, I lowered my price slightly to $70. That's what started the original thread in the first place. I really learned my lesson, I won't be lowering my price again.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:56am
post #23 of 68

The Power Point thing kills me! HAHA!!!!!

I've gotten to where I just charge what I want and if they don't write back, then that's ok, I don't have time to spend a weekend doing cakes if I'm not going to make a decent profit. I've had several people now request topsy turvy mad hatter cakes or fancy tiered party cakes and then when they hear my quotes they never write back. But that's ok because I have found that if I underquote a cake and then I'm stuck up at 2:00am working on it...that if I'm not making enough to make it worthwhile, then I hate doing it. (I have three little guys and so sleeping in is not an option LOL!) And I don't ever want to get to where I hate doing this, so I figure there is a certain group of people willing to pay me a certain amount to get EXACTLY what they want...and that is the group I will work with. icon_smile.gif

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:36am
post #24 of 68

Please *do* let us know if she comes back with a retort to your no?
People like that usually always have to have the last word.

icon_rolleyes.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:40am
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

And I don't ever want to get to where I hate doing this

That has become my motto I say it so much. Stick to your guns!!

Kelleym....I'm so glad you sent her that email. Very professional.

imartsy....you had me laughing out loud... icon_biggrin.gif

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:47am
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsuewoo

..... she wants Duff at Sam's prices!

Tooo funny & right on the money!
I had a customer much like that a few weeks ago. I was so worried. But she loved the cake and said she would be back icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif So either way I lost. So far she no calls from her and I hope it stay's that way. I like decorating I don't need a joy hater to mess up me week.
Let her go. It's not worth it.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:31am
post #27 of 68

you know she is going to come running back to you, saying "okay, I guess I can pay you the $70.00 that we discussed" how much do you want to bet she will be back, throwing her $70.00 at you as if nothing happened????

I'd suddenly have a price increase!!!!!!!!!!!!

melody

kelleym Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:36am
post #28 of 68

Well it's been a week and a half and I haven't heard another peep out of her. The shower isn't until Nov. 5, so there's plenty of time, but I'm going to be unable to help her, no matter what happens. No cake would ever look like that PowerPoint cake -- she was setting herself up for disappointment. That's part of the reason I do just rough sketches...I want my cake to be breathtaking and above expectations!

kaste28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaste28 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:53am
post #29 of 68

imartsy - I could see that presentation in my mind as I read your post. Hysterical!!! My family couldn't figure out what could be so funny on a cake website!

kelleym - Glad you got rid of that woman before she became any more of a headache for you. It's so great that you found out what the other place told her. As you said, "Vindication!" Love it!

kelleym Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:05pm
post #30 of 68

Guys, it happened.

She just called me and said that she "definitely" wanted to use me for her cake. She thinks that her friend "might have scared me" with her ideas, but the sketch I sent was just fine and we can go with that.

I told her that she and her friends had unrealistic expectations for their budget. She said that she didn't even look at the PowerPoint thing before she forwarded it to me (I call bullsh!t).

She was all sweet and reassuring...then my 2-year old, who I am on Day 1 of potty training, started grunting, and I had to tell her to call me back later.

So...it's really hard to tell someone 'no' on the phone when they're being sweet and saying they like your sketches. But I know she was quoted $105 on the small cake and $370 on the large cake and that's why she's come back to me.

What should I do? I am now a real business (got my license last week!) and want to keep things as professional as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%