Who Is Making Do Without A Commercial Oven?

Decorating By cms2 Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 12:57am by uniquecreations

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 6

I know that at some point, volume will necessitate the need for a commercial oven, but right now I'm making do with my kitchen oven. I'm curious how many other home bakers are doing the same and what kind of set up do you have? What kind of volume are you able to keep up with?

I remember one CC'er who had an extra stove/oven in her garage. I've been thinking about this topic for a while and wondering if I would go to two ovens or go straight to a commercial oven. And then I think of how many cakes it would take to pay for that commercial oven. * A lot.*

Just wondering what you all are doing out there. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 6

I have my regular home oven and have done up to seven or eight wedding cakes in a weekend, without freezing anything. Its not fun, but it can be done.

I think that if you got a true comemrcial oven you'd need to re-do your kitchen, because real industrial ovens aren't built for home kitchens.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 6

I have a Samsung home oven with three racks and it works great.

Although because I have four boys, I try to keep my work load to about 2-3 cakes per weekend. Usually the designs of 2-3 cakes are plenty to keep me busy (usually carved or tiered) and if I take on more, than I'm worthless the whole week.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 6

I have a home oven, LG convection. It has 3 racks and I can load them full to bake with the convection feature. I bought it because it had the largest inside dimensions I could find at the time.

I was going to buy a commercial oven but the folks at Restaurant Equippers told me the warranty would be void if it were installed in a home kitchen. That may be something you want to check into.

I also only do 2 weddings per weekend. That is what I am comfortable with - and it works fine for me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 6

Loucinda...I was between the LG and the Samsung but couldn't handle the bright blue inside of the LG. haha.

I don't like my Samsung convection though...I feel it browns the tops of the cakes too fast..... so I use regular bake for cakes.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have a home oven, LG convection. It has 3 racks and I can load them full to bake with the convection feature. I bought it because it had the largest inside dimensions I could find at the time.

I was going to buy a commercial oven but the folks at Restaurant Equippers told me the warranty would be void if it were installed in a home kitchen. That may be something you want to check into.

I also only do 2 weddings per weekend. That is what I am comfortable with - and it works fine for me.

Loucinda I have a LG oven with the convection feature and have never used it because I dont know how, so are you saying you can put cakes on all racks and it will bake evenly?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%