Powdered Vs Granulated

Baking By gjones Updated 31 Jul 2015 , 1:25am by birdsbug

gjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjones Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 7

I have an icing recipe that calls for white sugar. I assume that is granulated sugar. Can I replace the granulated with powdered???? I hate the grittiness that the granulated seems to cause.

Thanks!
G icon_smile.gif

6 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 7

Any recipe with granulated sugar should require you to dissolve the sugar. Never should be gritty. hth

gjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjones Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 7

All it said to do was cream the butter, sugar and add vanilla. Maybe I should have just used powdered?? I just assumed "white sugar" meant granulated

Thanks

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 7

Thats all powdered sugar is granulated sugar that has been ground fine to a powder.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:14am
post #5 of 7

Creaming should help dissolve the sugar. I wouldn't use powdered because it's been ground so fine the amount needed would differ and it's quite complicated to work out amounts. If you really dislike granulated try castor sugar which is a finer grind than granulated but the amount needed will be the same

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:21am
post #6 of 7

Doesn't powdered sugar have corn starch added to it? Or is that what makes confectioners or icing sugar? I have always understood that these are used interchangeably and are all the same thing, just depends on where you are from...sort of like fondant and sugarpaste, same thing, different names.

birdsbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdsbug Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 1:25am
post #7 of 7

White sugar does mean granulated, typically.  Icing sugar/confectioners sugar are usually used to mean the same as each other.

I'm using a recipe that does call for granulated sugar, and it is not gritty at all, IF you mix it for 5+ minutes and follow directions carefully!  It also has a flour/milk mixture that is heated, but then cooled prior to combining with butter/sugar.  It also says to cream the butter first, then add the sugar.  I love this recipe because it isn't even close to the "too sweet" buttercreams I've used in the past.

What I'm wondering right now is if there's a way to thicken it or stabilize it.  I'm needing it for tomorrow (delivery early Saturday).  I'm trying to get it to not be too melty in our 90+ degree heat (Colorado, so hardly any humidity).  Any suggestions?  I'm thinking either more flour in the cooking process or meringue powder.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%