Help With Gray Fondant!!

Decorating By nova Updated 28 Oct 2005 , 5:42am by SquirrellyCakes

nova Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nova Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 2

sorry for the sounding so stupid, but when i added just a hint of black to my white fondant, it turned pastel green! i added more black and it just turned a deeper green! i added royal blue and it became aqua! so i broke off a small piece and added a teeny bit of red and now it's purplish gray. what i wanted was a light kind of gray so i could make it silvery later on when i paint it with luster powder. i used ready-made fondant and wilton paste colors, btw. i just don't want to waste any more ingredients and time experimenting, so if anybody has any suggestion, i would really appreciate it. thanks!

1 reply
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 5:42am
post #2 of 2

Nova, you wouldn't be using Mc Call's fondant by any chase would you? Apparently their fondant has, I believe it is called yellow oxide in it. It really messes up when you try to colour it.
Perhaps other makes have this too, I don't know, that is the only one I am aware of.
Ok, sometimes you really need to stir up your black food colouring before using it. Black is made up of all of the other colours and sometimes they settle funny in the jar. Just stir and keep adding black. Sometimes it is best to colour a tiny portion and then add this portion of fondant to the uncoloured portion to get the true colour. But you should be able to get gray easily.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%