White Almond Sour Cream Recipe...only Chocolate??

Decorating By cordy Updated 8 Feb 2007 , 5:26pm by Zmama

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 21

I was wondering if anyone followed the white almond sour cream recipe only used chocolate cake mix rather than white cake mix? I am thinking about giving it a shot today, but thought I'd see if anyone else had tried.

20 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 21

Hi Cordy,
I made the white almond sour cream cake just yesterday and was telling my dh that I'm doing it with a chocolate mix next. It's is such a delicious white cake it'd have to make a great chocolate one too. Be sure and post after you've tried it. I'll be waiting to know what you think.
Carol

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordy

I was wondering if anyone followed the white almond sour cream recipe only used chocolate cake mix rather than white cake mix? I am thinking about giving it a shot today, but thought I'd see if anyone else had tried.

I did and it turned out moist and yummy. I used 6 whole eggs instead of the 8 egg whites though.

CarolAnn Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks fooby, I'll do that too!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 21

I hope it turns out for you, because I plan to make it tomorrow icon_smile.gif

When I made the recipe with white cake mix, I simply used the 8 whole eggs instead of the whites only - OMG it was AWESOME! I was ORDERED to use this instead of plain white from now on by my fiance. Wish I had tried it before! The whole eggs added moisture of a yellow cake, without the buttery flavor. Used Creme Bouquet for all of the flavoring, but cut it down to 1T.

CarolAnn Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 21

Zmama, Thanks for reminding me that I bought creme bouquet a while back and haven't used it yet. I'm filling my wasc cake with the rasperry white choc mousse. What kind of flavor does the creme bouquet give? I've heard good things about it.
Carol

Zmama Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 21

It's just a fresh taste, not really citrus, not really vanilla, just fresh. It's one of those cakes that was better even without frosting or filling! I used raspberry filling with just plain vanilla bc, and it was good, but the cupcakes plain were better.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 21

Yup- just made one last night. ( a chocolate WASC cake that is!) I used 6 whole eggs instead of the whites but I kept everything else just the same - including the almond extract - it gives it a nice flavor but not overpowering. I think it's hard to pick out that it has almond flavor in it - it's just one of those things that you can't quite put your finger on if you don't know what's in it ! But it is moist and yummy!!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 21

I made it that too and it was WONDERFUL.

Rachel

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:07am
post #10 of 21

the chocolate is so good, I tried it same as the white without changing anything it was yummy, then I made it this weekend and replaced some of the flour with cocoa powder, used buttermilk instead,used real vanilla (no almond), used 6 whole eggs,and I tossed in some chocolate chips. I made it for my friend Jon's party, everyone went back for seconds, good thing I made a big cake!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:15am
post #11 of 21

I just finsihed making this cake. It's great. I followed another ccer's advice and did this:

For half the recipe:

DH Chocolate Fudge or Devil's Food Mix
add 2/3 C flour
1/3 C dark (ducth processed cocoa)
2 tsp vanilla
and the rest of the ingredients

Absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarolAnn Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:55am
post #12 of 21

I'll use creme bouquet inmy next white cake. I do think this wasc is just about as good without icing. But I filled with the rasperry whipped cream mousse and iced with faintly almond bc. Yum!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:04am
post #13 of 21

Rhopar: are you supposed to add more flour or take it away when you add the cocoa.... ??

Above excerpt: "...replace 2/3 cup of the flour with baking cocoa..."

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:58am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Rhopar: are you supposed to add more flour or take it away when you add the cocoa.... ??

Above excerpt: "...replace 2/3 cup of the flour with baking cocoa..."

I know, I saw that too and it surprised me. I am using the variation from another CC post I saw a few weeks ago. I don't remember whose post it was but they clearly said 2/3 C flour and 1/3 C of cocoa. This is what I've done three times now and it is delicious every single time.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 21

OK. thanks. Just checking before I give it a shot....

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 21

my tried & true chocolate cake recipe is the Darn Good Chocolate cake...has anyone tried that and could you compare it to the choc. WASC? I've got a big cake for a big party this weekend and need to WOW them! TIA

cowgirl58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirl58 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 21

reading everyone's comments, I have to try it now - sounds like a good recipe

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 21

The funny thing is I haven't even tried the white version of WASC!! LOL - I've only done it with chocolate so far - Nobody wants a white cake lately!! lol I'm going to have to whip one up for myself! But I'm sure if it's anything like the chocolate version it will be wonderful!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 21

Yep...worked great for me too. I did add about 1/2 cup of cocoa to it to keep the chocolate taste from becoming "watered down", so to speak by the flour and sugar. I also added 6 whole eggs instead of the egg whites.

treatsonthego Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treatsonthego Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 21

Hi what is the creme bouquet that I keep see popping up? Is it a home made concotion? Or where does one buy it. What does it do to enhance your cakes?
Thx
Kim

Zmama Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:26pm
post #21 of 21

OMG! These are amazing!!!!

I used DH dark chocolate fudge cake mix, took out 1/3 cup flour from the recipe and added 1/3 cup cocoa, and used whole eggs instead of just whites. The girls and I tried them, and they said these are the best of the BEST!" They were also so rich that neither (5 y/o) could finish one cupcake. I did NOT add extra flavoring called for in the recipe, since I forgot, but they didn't need it with the cocoa. A swirl of vanilla bc on top was just perfect!

THANK YOU for this recipe!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%