Hey Guys I Might Be Expanding, Would You Go For It. (Long)

Business By countrysidecakes Updated 9 Feb 2007 , 2:53am by cakenutz

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys been a long time since I posted, but I got some news. I was at the tax place dropping off DH tax stuff, and I happened up on a place for rent. I called the # on the sign and found out that I can easily afford this place.
Would you all go for it? Particulars are below.

1. No legal lease agreement, just a 3 year rental contract. I am right now having my lawyer look it over. I am NO legal expert, but it is my understanding that with a lease you cannot move out with-in the allotted time period but with a rental contract you can move out, with a 30 day notice to the landlords.

2. Rent is cheap? I think, I dont know never rented, did not want to deal with it, so I customized my current shop, and love working there, but want to expand, BTW, rent is $175.00/month, and they pay utilities and trash pick-up. Landlord said he would give me a break if I spruced the place up, but I need that in writing, which he is willing to do.

3. No commercial kitchen, it does have a 3 comp sink, so I will have to purchase more appliances and other stuff, but NP school auction is in 2 weeks, I go to every one of these auctions and no one buys the appliances, so I can get them cheap.

4. I can do this without going into debt, I WILL NOT TAKE A LOAN, to do this, been debt free in building my current business and plan to stay that way. I will however dip into my savings, I figure it will cost around $18000.00 to get this up and running, with cash flow a place like this will need for 3 months, this will effect my savings, it will not totally clear it out but it will be close, I will however still have my emergency fund. (Dave Ramsey Junkie here).

5. VERY busy shopping center, CPA, Dollar General Store, Post Office, Rite-Aid, Laundry Mat, Florist, Local Bank, and High end Furniture Store is located in the same shopping center.

6. The space is 30ftX30FT front room, with bathroom, 600sqft kitchen space. Has water, and electric just need to get an electrician in there to upgrade electrics, NP BIL is licensed electrician, Owes me big time for free wedding cake. Said he would do it if I bought the supplies. Getting estimate from him in the morning.

So I just wanted to know if you all would expand or would it be too early. Been in legal business for about a year. That would you all do this if you had the opportunity.

7 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 8

Absolutely! You said you can afford it, the location's good, you won't be going into debt over this....where's the downside? You are very fortunate and I think it would be a shame to turn down such an opportunity.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 8

Absolutely, go for it. I wish I could find a place like that. Keep us up on what you decide to do. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 8

I can't see a single reason why you shouldn't go for it! The traffic of the area sounds ideal! (And I'm a fellow Dave Ramsey fan myself! "The key is being debt free!")

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 8

Good Lord Woman... don't make me come over there and sign the paperwork for you!! Jump on it! I am SOOOOOOO jealous! I wish there were some affordable options around here like that. I'd be tripping over my own feet to get to that one!!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 8

really? rent $175 a month and you can afford to do the rest ... you are obviously very informed and realistic about what is needed ... I say go for it.

Good luck!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:42am
post #7 of 8

why is the rent so cheap?

i never heard of a commercail property cost so little.

you said 18K to get it up and running...how much of that will be the remodel?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:53am
post #8 of 8

You're not there yet. I'm a Dave ramsey buff myself. Sounds like you are sound go for it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%